Featured Posts
mooshinindy
The Best Kind of Market, the Farmer's Market
April 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Oh man, I can't hide my excitement for farmer's markets. Starting next Wednesday my most favorite one in Indy starts up which means the guilt I feel for not having a garden full of my own vegetables will be dissuaded for another summer. You see, I wholly believe in growing a garden, but I stink at it. So yes, I plant a garden for practice and bragging rights for when I do actually produce an edible product, but honestly? The farmers are better at it and they sell it for much cheaper than the stress it requires me to produce produce.

My family knows that every Wednesday night is going to be 'experimental' vegetable night. I often let Addie pick a new item or two in an effort to get her excited about green stuff and instilling the importance of shopping local. My favorite is thinly sliced zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic and then spread with shredded mozzarella cheese. Seriously, try it. I don't like zucchini any other way. 

I've never been let down by a farmer's market, especially since so many of them now have fresh breads, jellies, honey and herbs (for so much less than grocery stores!) We'll know summer has truly arrived when my favorite corn vendor takes up his spot halfway down the line of pitched tents.

How do you feel about adding a weekly trip to a farmer's market to your regular shopping? 

Replies

• Charizma77
    April 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    I really need to go more often than I do. I live farmers markets.
  • MamaMandee
    April 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I love the farmer's market!! 

• ceciliam
    April 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I love visiting farmer's markets in the Summer.

• Samanthamommy
    April 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM

We usually go once a week. 

• Mrs.Pool2Be
    April 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

We have a local farm here that we like to go to and sometimes a grocery stores prices on veggies and fruit is better than at the Farmer's Market.

• NearSeattleMom
    April 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I need to start fitting this in to our routine. . . there are plenty of farmer's markets around here and I do love visitng them.

• NearSeattleMom
    April 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

Our large local farmers market close a few years ago, and is being turned into a homeless shelter. I really miss it!

That's a shame!  But . . . at least there's a homeless shelter now?

• jessicasmom1
    April 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I love when the farmers markets hit town ... I am always there! 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    April 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I'd like to go to a farmer's market regularly. Parking is a little tricky around here, though, and it does mean an extra trip.

• MamaBear2cubs
    April 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

We go about once a month and love it!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts