Featured Posts
WestPhillyMama
Gestational Diabetes Scare
April 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Today I spent four hours at a bloodwork lab with my partner and toddler.  The results from my glucose screening had come back elevated, so I had to go do the 3-hr glucose tolerance test to find out if I have gestational diabetes. 

During my last pregnancy I passed the screening with flying colors – but everything about this second pregnancy has been different, so I’m not surprised that we are adding this to the list.  No matter what the final outcome of the diagnostic test, the fact that my screening came back high signals to me that my body is struggling to process simple carbs more than usual.  So, diabetes or not, I’m going to be much more mindful of what I’m eating.  

Generally, I think I eat pretty well - I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies in a rainbow of colors and incorporate lean protein and healthy fats into my diet.  I struggle with what I consume on top of that healthy diet.  I have a sweet tooth and don't always practice proper portion control.  I wait until I'm hungry - sometimes famished - to eat.  There are certainly some things I could be doing better.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist (and if I do have gestational diabetes I will consult with both to have a more structured diet plan), but until the results come back here are the goals I've outlined for myself.  Hopefully, in a few days I will get a call that I passed the test and can just focus on these loose goals to guide me through this pregnancy and beyond. 

• Eat small meals frequently throughout the day.  I tend to wait until my tummy is growling to eat, and that leads to overeating.  Spreading out my meals with not only help stabilize my blood sugar, but will also make sure my portions stay sensible.
  • Cut out the refined sugar.  I love sugar.  I eat it every day and I'm not great at moderation when it comes to sweets.  I need to stop thinking of sugar as an everyday food and either cut it out completely or make sure it is only an occasional treat.  I'll also cut back on white breads/pastas and fruit juices.
  • Stay active.  I'm usually a big walker - but the third trimester sluggishness has kept me home more days than usual.  Of course, when I do push myself to get out the door despite feeling fatigued, I end up feeling energized and happy.  I need to remember that and make walking a priority every day.

These three simple things paired with my underlying healthy diet will hopefully help me manage what is (fingers crossed) just a touch of insulin resistance.  What I find interesting is that I already follow these rules when it comes to my toddler's diet.  I just have to eat more like I feed him.  Funny how we sometimes take better care of our kids than we do of ourselves. 

Did you ever have gestational diabetes or suspect that you might?  How did you manage it?  

Replies

• jessicasmom1
    April 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM

suspected I did then took that 3 hour test and everything came back fine but trust me .........take things with you in your purse food, crackers, water whatever .........I was so weak coming out of that test .. I was shaking!!

• Janet
    by Janet
    April 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM

No, I never did with my kids. I wish you the best throughout your pregnancy and after.

• slw123
    by slw123
    April 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I was borderline and we didn't do anything to manage it......my dr. didn't seem concerned about it.  I was fine and the baby was fine, but pretty big.  I was borderline with both of my kids and my daughter was 9 lbs 6 oz and my son was 8 lbs 11 oz.

• Wish2Be
    by Wish2Be
    April 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I was tested 4 times for GD when I was pregnant due to my high amnio fluid levels, but passed.

The OBGYN did however state that if you have GD while pregnant its a precursor to actual Diabetes later in life.

Unfortunately I believe everything is a precursor to something.....mostly diabetes and cancer.

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    April 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I was borderline.....I hated drinking that stuff when they test you....ick.

• Charizma77
    April 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    I never have but my good friend did.
  • Bmat
    by Bmat
    April 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I didn't, but a friend did. She watched her diet and was fine after giving birth.

• goddess99
    April 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I was borderline and put on bedrest. No medication and I didn't really change my eating habits at all.

• Leelee1008
    April 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I have not had it, I thought I may have it with my last pregnancy but did not. I think I was freaking out because my freind who had her son a few months before I had my DD ended up with GD. I am a plus sized woman, as is she, and she more then likely spooked me about it so I was freaking out.  She had a bad case of it, diet controll didnt help her she had to use insulin and high amounts of it. I think she had more issues before pregnancy. Good luck, im sure it will be fine. many people take the 3 hour test and everything is fine.

• Leelee1008
    April 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think im the only one who really didnt mind it LOL. the fruit punch was nasty, but orange and lemon lime wasnt bad LOL.

Quoting amy7243:

I was borderline.....I hated drinking that stuff when they test you....ick.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN