Featured Posts
WestPhillyMama
Gestational Diabetes Scare
April 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Today I spent four hours at a bloodwork lab with my partner and toddler.  The results from my glucose screening had come back elevated, so I had to go do the 3-hr glucose tolerance test to find out if I have gestational diabetes. 

During my last pregnancy I passed the screening with flying colors – but everything about this second pregnancy has been different, so I’m not surprised that we are adding this to the list.  No matter what the final outcome of the diagnostic test, the fact that my screening came back high signals to me that my body is struggling to process simple carbs more than usual.  So, diabetes or not, I’m going to be much more mindful of what I’m eating.  

Generally, I think I eat pretty well - I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies in a rainbow of colors and incorporate lean protein and healthy fats into my diet.  I struggle with what I consume on top of that healthy diet.  I have a sweet tooth and don't always practice proper portion control.  I wait until I'm hungry - sometimes famished - to eat.  There are certainly some things I could be doing better.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist (and if I do have gestational diabetes I will consult with both to have a more structured diet plan), but until the results come back here are the goals I've outlined for myself.  Hopefully, in a few days I will get a call that I passed the test and can just focus on these loose goals to guide me through this pregnancy and beyond. 

• Eat small meals frequently throughout the day.  I tend to wait until my tummy is growling to eat, and that leads to overeating.  Spreading out my meals with not only help stabilize my blood sugar, but will also make sure my portions stay sensible.
  • Cut out the refined sugar.  I love sugar.  I eat it every day and I'm not great at moderation when it comes to sweets.  I need to stop thinking of sugar as an everyday food and either cut it out completely or make sure it is only an occasional treat.  I'll also cut back on white breads/pastas and fruit juices.
  • Stay active.  I'm usually a big walker - but the third trimester sluggishness has kept me home more days than usual.  Of course, when I do push myself to get out the door despite feeling fatigued, I end up feeling energized and happy.  I need to remember that and make walking a priority every day.

These three simple things paired with my underlying healthy diet will hopefully help me manage what is (fingers crossed) just a touch of insulin resistance.  What I find interesting is that I already follow these rules when it comes to my toddler's diet.  I just have to eat more like I feed him.  Funny how we sometimes take better care of our kids than we do of ourselves. 

Did you ever have gestational diabetes or suspect that you might?  How did you manage it?  

Replies

• millerbunch
    April 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

yea when i first had it i was so upset, after a while i thought , huh this isn't bad..lol  

but you bet i was having hubby bring me a frap from Starbucks and my favorite foods from somewhere after i had the baby..lol

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting millerbunch:

i had G.D my last two pregnancies.. it wasn't all that bad.. you eat 3 times a day with 2 snacks.. and always make sure you paired your carb with a protein.. and walk, walk, walk!  i also took glyburide to help stable my sugars.. 

That's how I felt about it too- wasn't that bad- I was all diet controlled, but I think sometimes it sounds way scarier then it really is.  

• NearSeattleMom
    April 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Good luck!  Hope things work out for you . . . and eat some more protein. :)

• dusky_rose
    April 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Let me just say that when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I was stuck on bed rest for a month and my ex MIL was bringing me food and she had that mindset. I'm fortunate that it was the last month of pregnancy and I didn't get GD.

Quoting KristinRox:

During my first pregnancy I took on that mind set.. BIG HUGE COLLASOL MISTAKE! 

Quoting dusky_rose:

I never had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my 4 children. I was careful with what I ate though. I think that some women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and as much as they want, but I never bought into thinking like that.

• KristinRox
    April 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The crap part about taking on the mind set is sometimes we gain way way way too much weight, and its hard to dig yourself out of that mess when baby is born. 

Quoting dusky_rose:

Let me just say that when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I was stuck on bed rest for a month and my ex MIL was bringing me food and she had that mindset. I'm fortunate that it was the last month of pregnancy and I didn't get GD.

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

I never had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my 4 children. I was careful with what I ate though. I think that some women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and as much as they want, but I never bought into thinking like that.

• dusky_rose
    April 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

So true! I'm glad I was able to lose the weight after my youngest DD was born. Not so easily done with my youngest son though since I was much older.

Quoting KristinRox:

The crap part about taking on the mind set is sometimes we gain way way way too much weight, and its hard to dig yourself out of that mess when baby is born. 

Quoting dusky_rose:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

• KristinRox
    April 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Darn slowing metabolism! 

Quoting dusky_rose:

So true! I'm glad I was able to lose the weight after my youngest DD was born. Not so easily done with my youngest son though since I was much older.

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

• dixiegurl223626
    April 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I didnt have it luckily

• Jerichos_Mommy
    April 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM

No never

• dusky_rose
    April 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I know, right?

Quoting KristinRox:

Darn slowing metabolism! 

Quoting dusky_rose:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting dusky_rose:

• Augmama2be
    September 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    I had it with all 3 of my pregnancies and controlled it with diet. It wasn't that bad, but I can see how it could be when needing insulin or other meds.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts