Featured Posts
SarahLena
Growing Into a Big Boy Room Over the Course of a Weekend
April 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It started when Tony, now four years old, started asking for a Big Boy Room. We didn't know what he meant, so we randomly just started trying things. Beds, bedding, furniture, light fixtures ..

Months later, we STILL don't know. We just know we haven't hit the mark yet, and we know this because Tony nightly laments his lack of a Big Boy Room. Ah, well.  On to another Weekend Marathon of Inexpensive Room Makeovers.

My husband is actually a very gifted craftsman, and thank all the holy powers he is, because I have not a CLUE what needs to be done in most situations. However, he's able to saunter into most rooms, throw around terms like "quarter-round" and .. well, that's the one I'm thinking about at the moment and I kind of can't come up with much else, but he makes it happen is what I'm alluding to here.

We are not a rich family, and we actually really like our 1500 sq ft, 3 bedroom/2 bath home. It has an amazing kitchen (seriously, I was pretty much sold when I saw the kitchen), a large family room, and the bedrooms are generous. But .. we are kind of outgrowing it.

Seeing as how the market is not exactly favorable for moves just for the fun of it, we're trying to make our little abode a bit more useful for our family. And we're also trying to do it without breaking the bank.

First step: we upgraded Tony's bed. He had been in a toddler bed, and honestly, that fit just fine. But a Groupon came along that we couldn't pass up and we bought him a twin-size set. Which is very grown-up to a four year old.

Second step: real people furniture. I'm in love with this shelving, cube-sort of set that we got somewhere that I now can't recall. I love that the cubes hold SO SO MUCH .. we literally got ALL of Tony's toys, computers, and dress-up costumes in the four bins you see there. In fact, we love this so much, we plan to get another one for the other side of his room .. to replace his changing table that is still there.

(He's been out of diapers for almost two years now. I AM HAVING AN ISSUE GETTING RID OF THE LAST PIECE OF BABY FURNITURE, SO WHAT?)

Third step: ... this is where we don't know. We're still missing SOMETHING that will make this a Big Boy Room for Tony, but we don't know what that is, and neither does he. So we thought, Hey, let's just replace the flooring.

I'm pretty sure this is how most divorces start, right?

Bryan swears that the installation is pretty straight-forward and that he can TOTALLY handle this. So in an upcoming weekend, we're going to replace the carpeting in Tony's room with bamboo. Even typing that is giving me hives. Also, I'm not sure that I'm cut out for home improvement type things. I like order and organization.

Fourth Step: we'll have to repaint. He currently has an alphabet border up in his room that is ADORABLE for a nursery, but .. well, he specifically says that this makes it too much of a baby's room. So there's that. What color would you think for a little boy's room?

(I am pushing for a gray; Tony wants sky blue. There has to be a compromise.)

What "big kid" upgrade did you do for your kids? Was it finished in a weekend?

Am I insane for doing this flooring thing?

Replies

• momkaribg
    April 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    Great job.
  • TheBabyFactory4
    April 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Quoting Kainalu55:

that would be nice!
    Quoting Wish2Be:

Could you two tone the room...or make one wall a focus wall with the sky blue and the surrounding walls gray?

• Janet
    by Janet
    April 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM

We went to bunk beds. I have off white walls in there so whatever color you use it takes the color of . They look grey right now. (which I love) It was finished in one weekend. We bought new comforters, sheets, curtains to match. We tore the carpet up, there was wood floors under there not to bad of shape! Put down a nice throw rug and they were set.

• Wish2Be
    by Wish2Be
    April 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM

How about letting DS pick the color?

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    April 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

We got bunk beds that converted to twin beds. It worked well.

• Leelee1008
    April 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I am a carpet person in bed rooms. As for the grey/sky blue thing, you could do 2 things, grey walls, sky blue ceiling. or 2 walls great 2 blue.

as for up grading our kids rooms. we are living with family right now so not many room up grades going on. Our boys got bunk beds a few years back, that was the biggest big boy step we made. they have cartoon caricature bed sets still, and I plan to switch them out with something more grown up, especially for my 11 year old. He is over cars now LOL. as for my DD she is only 15 months, there will be no big girl up grades for her any time soon.

• Leelee1008
    April 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

oh btw I love that kitchen too.

• Kmakksmom
    April 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

My girls all have either queen sized or full sized beds.  The older 3 have queen sized beds, and my youngest has a full.  My 3 year old son went from his transitional crib to toddler bed to a full sized bed in a weekend. 

• mommythree0508
    April 17, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    My oldest got to pick her stuff.
  • MamaBear2cubs
    April 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I also let my son pick his own things for his big boy bed,it made him feel like a big shot lol.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN