Featured Posts
SarahLena
Growing Into a Big Boy Room Over the Course of a Weekend
April 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It started when Tony, now four years old, started asking for a Big Boy Room. We didn't know what he meant, so we randomly just started trying things. Beds, bedding, furniture, light fixtures ..

Months later, we STILL don't know. We just know we haven't hit the mark yet, and we know this because Tony nightly laments his lack of a Big Boy Room. Ah, well.  On to another Weekend Marathon of Inexpensive Room Makeovers.

My husband is actually a very gifted craftsman, and thank all the holy powers he is, because I have not a CLUE what needs to be done in most situations. However, he's able to saunter into most rooms, throw around terms like "quarter-round" and .. well, that's the one I'm thinking about at the moment and I kind of can't come up with much else, but he makes it happen is what I'm alluding to here.

We are not a rich family, and we actually really like our 1500 sq ft, 3 bedroom/2 bath home. It has an amazing kitchen (seriously, I was pretty much sold when I saw the kitchen), a large family room, and the bedrooms are generous. But .. we are kind of outgrowing it.

Seeing as how the market is not exactly favorable for moves just for the fun of it, we're trying to make our little abode a bit more useful for our family. And we're also trying to do it without breaking the bank.

First step: we upgraded Tony's bed. He had been in a toddler bed, and honestly, that fit just fine. But a Groupon came along that we couldn't pass up and we bought him a twin-size set. Which is very grown-up to a four year old.

Second step: real people furniture. I'm in love with this shelving, cube-sort of set that we got somewhere that I now can't recall. I love that the cubes hold SO SO MUCH .. we literally got ALL of Tony's toys, computers, and dress-up costumes in the four bins you see there. In fact, we love this so much, we plan to get another one for the other side of his room .. to replace his changing table that is still there.

(He's been out of diapers for almost two years now. I AM HAVING AN ISSUE GETTING RID OF THE LAST PIECE OF BABY FURNITURE, SO WHAT?)

Third step: ... this is where we don't know. We're still missing SOMETHING that will make this a Big Boy Room for Tony, but we don't know what that is, and neither does he. So we thought, Hey, let's just replace the flooring.

I'm pretty sure this is how most divorces start, right?

Bryan swears that the installation is pretty straight-forward and that he can TOTALLY handle this. So in an upcoming weekend, we're going to replace the carpeting in Tony's room with bamboo. Even typing that is giving me hives. Also, I'm not sure that I'm cut out for home improvement type things. I like order and organization.

Fourth Step: we'll have to repaint. He currently has an alphabet border up in his room that is ADORABLE for a nursery, but .. well, he specifically says that this makes it too much of a baby's room. So there's that. What color would you think for a little boy's room?

(I am pushing for a gray; Tony wants sky blue. There has to be a compromise.)

What "big kid" upgrade did you do for your kids? Was it finished in a weekend?

Am I insane for doing this flooring thing?

Replies

• Madelaine
    April 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We are about to move our son into his big boy room too!

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    April 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I don't know about installing bamboo,  Maybe it would be a good idea to hire someone to put it in, unless you or someone you know has experience with installing flooring.

• dusky_rose
    April 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I'm working on my youngest son's room to make it into a big boy room too. I took down the cutesy star wall border in pastels, replaced the blue curtains that had flower embroidered on them with red curtains and I'd like to put a red bed in there. Right now he is sleeping on our futon couch from when we redid our family room. I'm not repainting the walls because blue looks fine in there. Also trying to make the wall hangings more grown up.

• TheBabyFactory4
    April 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    My mom and I painted each of the kids room and added accessories. In about 2 days. The boys got cars (their room is half big boy and half baby) and the girls got lavendar and butterflies.
  • goddess99
    April 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

We went from a toddler bed to a double, which I love. She has a wardrobe, dresser, bookcase and computer desk. But it took us a while to get here. She's 9. Her room is finished until she moves out.

I like the flooring you did.

• copperswifey
    April 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I don't think you are insane for doing the flooring. I love bamboo floors. It will be easier to clean up then carpet. When my son got older we got a new bedroom set and just got rid of all the kiddy stuff in his room. There wasn't too much we had to do to transform it from a kid room to an older boys room. :)

• KaylaMillar
    April 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    We havent done anything yet. We looking to get into a bigger house before we make any chaneges
  • MamaMandee
    April 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

1st good luck on the flooring, Im sure it will go fine (sending you it will go fine vibes lol) We have only been in this house for about 3 years and before we moved in I redid all the kids room. Currently the only "make it a big kid room" was took apart my son's bunk bed. For some reason bunk beds are not cool when you are 8 (keep that in mind for down the road lol). My 4yr daughter is probably going to need a big kid makeover on her room in a year or so as Im sure the way she is growing she wont fit in her princess castle toddler bed for to much longer.

• Kainalu55
    April 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    My daughter got a big girl bed and got to choose her bedding!
  • elasmimi
    April 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We never really had a nursery, since we didn't get her til she was 2, but it is about time to redo her room. I won't do any character themes, because their favorites change so quickly.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts