Featured Posts
WestPhillyMama
Learning What Food Is
April 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

These days so much of our food comes in a pouch/box/can from the store shelf it’s no wonder some kids don’t recognize basic fruits and veggies in their unprocessed form.  It’s important to me that our kids know where their food comes from and how it’s produced.  Living in a city it does take some deliberate effort to help make those connections.  Here are the ways we try to give a well-rounded view of the food that is served on our table:

·         Shopping at farmers' markets.  Ideally, we like the meet the people who grow our food and make small talk about how crops are looking this season - but even a walk through the produce section at the grocery store or getting a CSA box can spur some conversations about seasonality and new fruits and veggies to try together.

·         Cooking together.  Seeing the whole process from raw ingredients to a delicious meal helps demystify food.  It also gets kids invested in the meal and much more likely to try new foods.

·         Visiting farms.  From pumpkin/berry picking to seeing goats and cows - visiting farms (or even a neighbor with a chicken coop) helps make the connection from farm to table.

·         Growing some edibles in a container garden.  Our second floor apartment doesn't allow me to have my dream raised beds that grow a good chunk of our food - but we do always have some pots in the window with herbs or berries along with some tomatoes on the balcony in the summer. 

·         Making convenience items from scratch.  We still buy jars of jam and cartons of ice-cream from the store - but we try to make these things on our own from time to time as well.  Whether it's cultivating some yogurt in the crock-pot or baking a loaf of bread - I want our family to think, "I can make that!" when it comes to most of our grocery list.

How do you teach your kids about where their food comes from?  

Replies

• Wish2Be
    by Wish2Be
    April 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM

We are still working on identifying food. We will get to where it comes from later :)

• lalasmama2007
    April 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    We live in a small farming town, so it's easy to show my dd where lots of our food comes from. We also have our own garden and she loves to help with it.
  • goddess99
    April 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I buy whole, regular foods and we shop at the farmers market. My dd knows what food it supposed to look like.

• KaylaMillar
    April 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I haven't really thought of it honestly and they haven't really asked. I guess i should work on that! 

• dusky_rose
    April 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I do have conversations with my youngest son when we go shopping for produce and he is curious when I am cooking dinner. Last night he was asking about the spaghetti I was making, so I told him that I cook the sauce and the noodles separate and then combine them together at the end before we eat.

• alliesmom112
    April 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM

our home actually backs up to a 54 acre farm so dd actually has learned alot about where our food comes from. The neighbor who owns the farm lets her come up and feed the animals, milk the cows and even pick some of the crops.

We also have our own smaller garden that we plant every year and dd loves that. She loves eating vegetables that she plants and picks herself

• alliesmom112
    April 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I love our farmers market!! dd loves to go with me too

Quoting goddess99:

I buy whole, regular foods and we shop at the farmers market. My dd knows what food it supposed to look like.

• mamivon2
    April 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM

We talk about it.. I have an open relationship with my kids about food.. I let them know that candy, sweets are bad for them if eaten alot.. what they can do to your body.. and that veggies are much better for you..

• TheBabyFactory4
    April 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    We go grocery shopping together. And we have several local farms here that they have visited.
  • amy7243
    by amy7243
    April 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

We have huge gardens here. My kids help me with them.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN