Featured Posts
SarahLena
Learning to Juggle and Dropping the Ball
March 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Hi! I'm Sarah Lena. I've been blogging since we formally referred to them as "weblogs" and, if my parents aren't reading this, I'll admit that I actually started with role-playing fan-fiction on community boards back in the early 90s, writing things that I would certainly KILL my children for coming up with now. I'm a stepmom to an 11 year old boy, a mom to a four year old boy, and a wife to a forty year old boy. Suffice it to say: I own all of the ovaries in my house.

I reside in what we call the Rocket City of Huntsville, Alabama. We're probably most famously-known for having the US Space and Rocket Center, and most recently, Antoine Dodson. Yep. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife? That's my hood! I know. I can FEEL your pride on my side of the screen.

But living in a Rocket City means that I, too, am involved in said rockets. BWAHAHAHA, no, wait, don't get to thinking that I'm an engineer or anything fancy like that - I call myself an "engineer translator". I wrangle engineers, dumbing down their layouts and drawings and thoughts and stuff into layman's terms. I also moonlight as a freelance proposal writer and coordinator. Oh, and my husband and I are both veterans of local theatre, so we work with local production companies. Oh, and I also do a lot of voiceover work regionally.

I did mention the kids, right? I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, the point is this: my life is a lot about finding the perfect balance between work and home life. I should rephrase: my life is a lot about searching for the perfect balance between work and home life. I can't say I've found it. But I do hope to relay some tips and tricks that have worked with my family - and dude, if you've got some? PLEASE THROW THEM AT ME.

(I say "dude" a lot. You've been warned.)

(Also, "y'all".)

In trying to figure out the right way to start, I finally decided I would pass along my personal mantra to you. During a particularly stressful proposal for a billion dollar government contract, I had a Vice President confide in me, "You're only human. It's okay to drop the ball every now and again. Just make sure you catch the eggs."

Ever since then, if something slides through the cracks - and something ALWAYS will! - I take a moment to breathe and decide: ball or egg? If it was just a ball? Life continues on. Lessons are learned, steps taken, and we move forward. If it's an egg? Well, then maybe some bigger measures need to be observed.

But I think that's been the best advice I've ever been given. In balancing work, life, kids, family, pets, hobbies, and whatever else fills your day planner, it's okay to forgive yourself some mistakes.

Just make sure you catch the eggs.

What balls are you okay with dropping?

Replies

• MamaMandee
    March 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

That is a great personal mantra!!! 

• Kainalu55
    March 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    I love that saying!
  • Kmakksmom
    March 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I'm okay with dropping friends sometimes over family. I would NEVER intentionally drop my family.

• copperswifey
    March 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

That is great advice! The balls I let drop sometimes is not folding the laundry right away. One night I might not feel like cooking, so we will go out and get something. One day I might decide the house doesn't need to be spotless and just play with the kids and have some fun. I'll worry about cleaning the house the next day. Those are the things I will usually drop the ball on. :)

• Charizma77
    March 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    I too have needed to "drop some balls" from to time.
  • alliesmom112
    March 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    I agree with previous posters. I am okayvwith dropping some activities and even friends but never family
  • OliviasMommy611
    March 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    :) cute
  • Rushn311
    March 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I am okay with dropping the ball on my chores, but never my family and closest friends.

• malexander2009
    March 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I am not good with letting any thing drop...I feel horrible when I do. 

• malexander2009
    March 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I happen to agree as well, family is the most important thing.

Quoting alliesmom112:

I agree with previous posters. I am okayvwith dropping some activities and even friends but never family

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN