Featured Posts
USAFamily
A real life 'Footloose'?
September 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM

A school in NH has decided to cancel all upcoming dances, with the exception of the senior formal and prom. They are doing so because the student's "dirty dancing" at other dances got "out of hand" and made chaperones uncomfortable.

Should these dances be cancelled? Why or why not?

Are there any alternatives to cancelling the dances that could have worked?

Do you have an issue with teens grinding?

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12005418464250/dirty-dancing-forces-nh-school-to-cancel-dance/

Replies

• USAFamily
    September 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I think it's totally appropriate, especially if they are still having Prom. I think that if it is too much for the adults to have to deal with (especially volunteers) then they shouldn't have to. Kids that age should know how to behave.

And dirty dancing in 60/70's and now is NOT the same.

• goddess99
    September 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

dances have always been like that.. I went to HS 25 years ago and there was that and worse going on on the dance floor.. If the school wants to cancel a dance, who cares, just have it some where else. it's not difficult lol

• splatz
    by splatz
    September 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Prom is the only one that really matters IMO.
  • LovelyLauren55
    September 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I dont think they should CANCEL them, tho I think they should have a school assembly to explain to the kids what and what is not acceptable at school dances, let it be an educational moment

• armywife1229
    September 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I agree. Perhaps the kids will learn to behave and be able to earn them back.

Quoting USAFamily:

I think it's totally appropriate, especially if they are still having Prom. I think that if it is too much for the adults to have to deal with (especially volunteers) then they shouldn't have to. Kids that age should know how to behave.

And dirty dancing in 60/70's and now is NOT the same.

• mom2gr8tgirls
    September 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    Agreed.

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

I dont think they should CANCEL them, tho I think they should have a school assembly to explain to the kids what and what is not acceptable at school dances, let it be an educational moment

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    September 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM

My h/s had three dances a year. Homecoming, Sweetheart Dance (V-day), and Prom. To me it worked out well and think 3 is plenty! : )

• USAFamily
    September 20, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I agree with this too. Dances are a waste of school resources and if you have only a couple a year, they would be more meaningful!

Quoting Pammi86:

My h/s had three dances a year. Homecoming, Sweetheart Dance (V-day), and Prom. To me it worked out well and think 3 is plenty! : )

• mrsnoble2004
    September 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM

My 12 year old missed her first dance. Progress report issues and I just have a problem with her age. My first dance was at 14. I don't think 12 year olds need to be grinding up against each other. Particularly when she was listing off kids that couldn't be in the club for "virgins" at school. Told her to look around and she would see the ones that got pregnant way too young.

• USAFamily
    September 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Lovely...........

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

My 12 year old missed her first dance. Progress report issues and I just have a problem with her age. My first dance was at 14. I don't think 12 year olds need to be grinding up against each other. Particularly when she was listing off kids that couldn't be in the club for "virgins" at school. Told her to look around and she would see the ones that got pregnant way too young.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN