Featured Posts
goddess99
Do you give your kids an allowance?
August 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM

If so, how old are they? What do they do and how much do they get?

Replies

• LindaClement
    August 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

We started giving our kids part of our discretionary budget when they became interested in money. They got $5 a month until they were 12 or 13, when we all kind of dropped it 'cause they'd started working for others.

What they had to do to get it was be alive (and remind mom to give it to them). 

• LindaClement
    August 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

This:

Quoting LOswald0314:

Mine are still babies, but  *if* we do an allowance it won't be related to chores. Regular chores will be expected to be done without out being paid to do them. 

Plus, I never wanted to imply to my children that there was any economy anywhere in the universe where anyone would pay YOU to do YOUR dishes. If it's their house, too, (and in my head, it always was) it was as silly as expected to pay my husband to take out the garbage.

Besides, money is a very poor motivator. Once people feel they have enough, more money will not entice them to do anything extra that they don't feel like doing.... so either it stops working entirely, or the price goes up until you're paying a 13yo in cars.

• usmclife58
    August 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

We do not

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts