Featured Posts
CynthiaMom
Problem child, Help !
August 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Ladies I've tried everything from time out to spankings and taken away toys. Nothing seems to help.

Why ! ! !

Replies

• jltplk25
    August 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM

How old is your little one and what issues are you having? Sometimes the issue is simply that they're getting the wrong attention, not enough of your time, they're tired, hungry...it could be a million and one things.

• LOswald0314
    August 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Share some more details and I'm sure someone will have some advice!

• goddess99
    August 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM

bump

• splatz
    by splatz
    August 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    This!

Quoting LOswald0314:

Share some more details and I'm sure someone will have some advice!

• armywife1229
    August 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Waiting for more info so we can help!

• Dani_Lynn
    August 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    My son is 4 but since the age of two, the only thing that works is sending him to stand on the corner. Regular time outs dont work, spanking doesn't phase him and toy taking doesn't phase him either.
  • lovinangels
    August 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

We need to know:

actual behavior issue

age+developmental stage

In the meantime, try to redirect him. If he's throwing books off the bookshelf, lead him to a different toy, etc.

• Kristin42010
    August 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    Bump
  • LindaClement
    August 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Because you didn't order the factory-installed Voice Command software and there is no aftermarket product available...

Because controlling other human beings is not actually possible. All of the advertising (123Magic, etc) to the contrary, it's not possible now, and it has never been possible.

When people think they thought children were better behaved than they are today (and I specifically mean 'more controlled') it was because someone else was taking care of the children in the first place (so how the heck would they know?) or because the children were all 'out there somewhere' staying out of the Real People's lives until they were called to be fed (or let back into the locked house).

Take a look at old movies and notice how rarely the children, when there are any at all, are simply 'put away' or taken away by the nanny, housekeeper, governess, etc. And how 'normal' it was for children to be taking care of younger children when they themselves were only 5 or 6. How common it was for the children to be out and about with no one but other children. For the kids to misbehave and get caught, but run away from the adults in a crowd, hiding out together...

I would strongly recommend reading Alfie Kohn's Unconditional Parenting, or William Glasser's Choice Theory... or both.

• bramamber
    August 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    Very interesting.

Quoting LindaClement:

Because you didn't order the factory-installed Voice Command software and there is no aftermarket product available...

Because controlling other human beings is not actually possible. All of the advertising (123Magic, etc) to the contrary, it's not possible now, and it has never been possible.

When people think they thought children were better behaved than they are today (and I specifically mean 'more controlled') it was because someone else was taking care of the children in the first place (so how the heck would they know?) or because the children were all 'out there somewhere' staying out of the Real People's lives until they were called to be fed (or let back into the locked house).

Take a look at old movies and notice how rarely the children, when there are any at all, are simply 'put away' or taken away by the nanny, housekeeper, governess, etc. And how 'normal' it was for children to be taking care of younger children when they themselves were only 5 or 6. How common it was for the children to be out and about with no one but other children. For the kids to misbehave and get caught, but run away from the adults in a crowd, hiding out together...

I would strongly recommend reading Alfie Kohn's Unconditional Parenting, or William Glasser's Choice Theory... or both.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN