I have a couple questions, all different "subjects" just thought I would put them into one post.
1) I recently had a baby shower and I am writing out thank you cards. Everyone was beyond generous that I feel bad just writing a card. I want to make a small thank you gift or favor. Anybody have any ideas?
2) I am 34 weeks pregnant and we are preparing for baby. When did you pack your bag for the hospital and what did you pack? What did you pack for baby?
Hmmm.. Ill think about the gift thing and get back to you.
I packed around 36 weeks, because I was having some crazy medical issues. I basically spent the last month in and out of the hospital. With my son I packed around 38 weeks.
Shampoo, conditioner, soap, mouthwash, chapstick, a brush, toothbrush/paste, hairties, hard candies, crossword puzzles, camera, batteries, cell phone charger, nursing pads, stool softener (I wish I had known how painful the first one was going to be after my first baby, yikes!) and I think that's it lol.
Baby book (for footprints and writing important info), coming home outfit, an extra hat and those no scratch mittens, a blanket, and baby wipes. A lot of hospitals give out dry wipes and those things are a pain!!
by USAFamilyAugust 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM
When I had my first, I packed waaaaay early lol. I am not sure when exactly, but it was soon.
For me I packed:
Slipper Socks (great while your in stirrups or pushing)
Brush, tooth brush, lotion, wet wipe (to sponge off the yuck before I could shower), tooth paste, contact lens case and solution, glasses.
Pillow/blanket (I liked having extra)
change for vending machines
For the baby I brought the outfit to take her home in, and her diaper bag with diapers/wipes (though I didn't need them). A blanket, and don't forget the carseat!
I would give out thank you notes but that's just me. They gave you the presents because they cared about you/baby, not for something in return. :)
I packed my bag the first time about a couple weeks out but the second time I packed the diaper bag and not my bag weeks before I needed to.
Hmm...How about re-loadable gift cards with your baby's picture on them? I think I packed around seven months, but to be honest I can't remember. I know with my youngest I completely forgot to do the bag and dh and to run home and grab everything for me.
by LindaClementAugust 16, 2011 at 3:36 PM
1. When does that end? If you write a card that is more than 'thanks you so much for the ____, it's lovely and I'll use it every _____' genuine appreciation and gratitude are a real gift. Really think about it. Why do you love it? What will you use it for? Write a short piece about the specifics of this gift and why you feel it is so generous.
2. I used the list my midwife gave me. I didn't include a bunch of the suggestions (music, 'cause noise bothers me when I'm concentrating), but packed toward the end of the 7th month.
by USAFamilyAugust 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM
I liek that idea. Just a nice personal touch would make the Thank You notes more meaningful!
1.) Maybe a handmade card or a personalized letter, thanking them?
2.) I had my bag ready to go at 36 weeks :) I packed more than what I needed
by usmclife58August 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM
1) A thank you card is plenty. Just make sure it is personal (you mention you were glad to see them, or missed seeing them if they were not there; be sure to mention the gift, and how you look forward to using it "I know that Baby will feel very cozy in the beautiful pink blanket you have given")
2) I procrastinate, so I was packing the day I was going to the hospital I was 36w with my first, and 37w with my second. I thought I had time. So, 34w minght not be a bad idea, lol!
I packed something for me to go home in, something for baby to go home in. Bathroom things (toothbrush, shampoo, etc). I packed slippers to walk around the room. A camera (YOU NEED THIS!!!). Everything else, I used from the hospital. They are going to charge you for them anyway, so why not?
August 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM
um ive never had a baby shower before...so i have no idea what to give as thank you presents...
and i just remembered to pack a couple of outfits for baby, a camera (must have!) charger for camera and cell phones...keys...and whatever toiletries you need :-)
I would only send a thank you card. They don't expect anything extra in return. I packed early because I was single and on bed rest. I brought a girl outfit and a boy(just in case) but it wasn't needed :) .. For me I just packed a couple outfits, slippers, some movies to watch, magazines, toiletries, and that might be about it. I knew all food and drinks at the hospital would be free and I knew there was a tv and dvd player in each room.