Featured Posts
USAFamily
How long did it take?
August 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM

For you to potty train your kid (s)?

I have a 3 yo who uses the potty sometimes... then she decides not to :\ SOOOO frustrating!!

I have an older daughter who was so simple to potty train -she basically told me she was going potty and that was it. So now I am in brand new territory.

How did it work for you? Any tricks of the trade?!

Replies

• LOswald0314
    August 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Ugh not there yet but so not looking forward to it!!
  • babowes
    by babowes
    August 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    Ds 7 took 3 days......at 3 yrs old. Ds5 yr old took 2 weeks...at 3 yr old......but I still wipe him when he poops......argh. dd is 15 months at we put. Her on he potty bf bath. I have no advice.....eventually it will click....is sh going to ps in the fall?!??
  • LindaClement
    August 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Five seconds.

The first four were in this sudden epiphany: 'if I do nothing at all, what could happen?'

The rest of it was making this rule, when they asked to wear panties instead of diapers: when you've woken up 3 mornings in a row dry, with no wet or dirty diapers during the day, you can wear panties: people who wear panties use the toilet all the time.

Done. No stress. No struggles.

And, magic: no 'accidents.'

• steelcrazy
    August 2, 2011 at 8:40 AM

It took well over a year with my oldest son.  It was a major PITA.  He wasn't consistant at all.  Funny thing happened though, it seemed like over night he decided on his own that the wanted to use the potty and didn't have an accident at all after that.  He was just shy of 3.5 when this magical event occured.

With my second son, I didn't even attempt potty training.  I waited to him to ask to use the potty.  Same magical even occured with him.  He was potty trained the same day that he first asked to use the potty.  He was just over 3 years old.

My tip is don't push, they will do it when they want to do it.  The only thing that pushing does is give you a huge headache and piss you off.

• xxLukesMamaxx
    August 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM

This is embarrassing to admit but my 5 year old... yes 5, still poops his pants sometimes. I have no idea what his issue is but he will go into the bathroom, close the door, and squat (next to the toilet) and go in his pants/underwear. We go through fazes. Sometimes he will have no accidents for months and then all of a sudden revert. His doctor really didn't seem concerned and didn't have any great advice either. When I ask my son why he didn't go on the potty, he says he doesn't know why. 

My daughter was fully potty trained by 2 ½. She's only had a hand full of accidents since she's been potty trained and honestly I can't remember her last one. 

• BeachMommy07
    August 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Diaper free and put her in underwear if she pees/poops in her underwear give her a shower. Also, don't *force* your kid  (not saying at all that you are) but in general don't force her to use the potty it's intimidating and the potty can be scary experience for some kids. Let her go on her own.

• usmclife58
    August 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My oldest (will be 4y this month) still has the occasional accident, and is still in pullups at night. It seems like it took forever.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN