Featured Posts
Mychele
:( We hit and killed a dog :(
by Mychele
July 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM
So my DH hit a small dog that ran out in the road. I'm positive it's dead. I feel awful. It's got me thinking about how do people handle this? Do you keep going and forget it? Do you stop and trying to get the animal off the road? Will you trying to find the owner to alert them to the accident?

Replies

• TruthSeeker.
    July 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Stop. I look at it like I would a child. See if it is hurt. Try to find the owner. If it's alive and no one is around take it to the vet. That's what I would do anyway.

• Strega
    by Strega
    July 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    When I was younger, my Stepfather accidentally ran over a Cat. We stopped, but the Cat was dead. An older woman ran out into the street screaming his name (Morris). My Stepfather apologized but the woman was so distraught. She did thank him for stopping but was really a mess, understandably. I'd always recommend stopping.
  • LCG83
    by LCG83
    July 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Id stop and check it out. If it was gone and not too badly damaged id move it to the side of the road. If there was a residence nearby I would see if I could locate the owner.
  • maciymommieof3
    July 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM

OMG....How do you just keep on driving? It is someone's pet. I am sure it has tags and maybe even micro chipped...Its the same as a hit and run...IMO

• Mychele
    by Mychele
    July 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    Well it's late,dark, and my kids were in the car. If it was alive I would have helped it, but it wasn't. I feel bad about it. There just isn't much you can do for a dead dog other than waking up the whole neighborhood to tell the owner.
  • maciymommieof3
    July 30, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I just think they deserve the same respect as a human...Heck,,in some cases Pets are peoples "kids"//

Sorry about what happened..I am sure your totally bummed and I understand.

Quoting Mychele:

Well it's late,dark, and my kids were in the car. If it was alive I would have helped it, but it wasn't. I feel bad about it. There just isn't much you can do for a dead dog other than waking up the whole neighborhood to tell the owner.

• Mychele
    by Mychele
    July 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    Your right I agree. I mentioned to my DH who was driving. I can imagine how devestated the owners will be. I really feel bad about it. Infact now that the kids are home, I told my DH he should remove the dog from the road. It's a 40 ish minute drive back up one way.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

I just think they deserve the same respect as a human...Heck,,in some cases Pets are peoples "kids"//

Quoting Mychele:

• maciymommieof3
    July 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM

My brothers dog ran away from my dad's house on July 4th a few years ago (fireworks scared him) and he got hit on the major road by my dad's house. My dad went out for hours looking for Pyper that night and then he had to call my brother....My brother took a picture of Pyper and was making flyers for "missing dog" when a lady he worked with came up to him and said that she thought that she may have seen Pyper ...and told him that Pyper was in the center lane of Clarkson Rd. so my brother went to the area she told him and found Pyper :(  (it was a weird flukey thing how it worked out)

Quoting Mychele:

Your right I agree. I mentioned to my DH who was driving. I can imagine how devestated the owners will be. I really feel bad about it. Infact now that the kids are home, I told my DH he should remove the dog from the road. It's a 40 ish minute drive back up one way.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Quoting Mychele:

• Liansmommie
    July 31, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I ran over dog once. By the time I had turned around to check on it it had vanished. I hope that means that it was okay.

• Liansmommie
    July 31, 2011 at 2:27 AM

When I was kid, both our dogs were hit when they got out. It was trash day and we were walking to school. We had been collecting boxes everywhere because we were moving and my brother found a whole bunch in front of this one house. The first box he checked though had one of our dogs in it, dead. I don't know if they hit her or found her but he was devastated. The other one came home later that day in pretty bad shape but he was insane about getting out of the yard and chsing cars after that. Sure enough one day he got onto a main highway and got hit again. That dog had nine lives.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

My brothers dog ran away from my dad's house on July 4th a few years ago (fireworks scared him) and he got hit on the major road by my dad's house. My dad went out for hours looking for Pyper that night and then he had to call my brother....My brother took a picture of Pyper and was making flyers for "missing dog" when a lady he worked with came up to him and said that she thought that she may have seen Pyper ...and told him that Pyper was in the center lane of Clarkson Rd. so my brother went to the area she told him and found Pyper :(  (it was a weird flukey thing how it worked out)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts