Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
Should Hot Dogs come with a warning label? Poll
July 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Should hot dogs come with a warning label?

Nonprofit group says consumers should view the popular summer food as a health risk on par with cigarettes.

Tue, Jul 26 2011 at 5:31 PM EST

hot dogs Photo: Flickr/Creative Commons
We all know the damage that cigarettes can cause to our health, but should hot dogs be given the same cold shoulder? According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a nonprofit that advocates for a plant-based diet and preventative medicine, that answer is yes - and this is but one of many processed foods that are slowly killing us.

The group released a billboard near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway featuring several hot dogs in a cigarette box with a skull and crossbones on the front. It reads: "Warning: Hot dogs can wreck your health," and is meant to make race fans think twice about eating the popular food.
An estimated 62 percent of Americans eat some form of processed pork, with the average person eating 32 pounds a year!
"A hot dog a day could send you to an early grave," says PCRM nutrition education director Susan Levin, M.S., R.D. "Processed meats like hot dogs can increase your risk for diabetes, heart disease and various types of cancer. Like cigarettes, hot dogs should come with a warning label that helps racing fans and other consumers understand the health risk."
While some might chalk this up as a publicity stunt by a pro-vegetarian group, the science linking processed meats to an increase in cancer risk is rather convincing. A 2007 study using data from the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) and the World Cancer Research Fund found that consuming just 50 grams of processed meat (think one hot dog) daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer, on average, by 21 percent.
It gets worse. As MNN blogger Chanie Kirschner recently pointed out, a 2005 study at the University of Hawaii linked consumption of processed meats to a 67 percent increase in the risk for pancreatic cancer. Researchers, however, were quick to point out that the link may have more to do with the way the processed meats are prepared, rather than their contents.
Either way, moderation should be the overarching theme of any healthy diet. If you're one of those Americans averaging over 32 pounds of processed pork annually, consider cutting back or eliminating that habit altogether. If you're at the ballpark or other sports venue, also try and seek out some kind of healthier alternative - like a black bean burger or fresh salad.
do you eat hot dogs?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 24% - yes,,I love a good dog
  2. 40% - Sometimes. They're good at a cookout or a ball game.
  3. 24% - Very rarely. If I'm desperate or have an unusual craving.
  4. 12% - Not at all.
  5. 0% - I did before I read this

Replies

• BeachMommy07
    July 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Anything in large consumption is potentially bad for your health. Come on you cna't live like this..so now society gonna ban hot dogs. great. lol.

• TruthSeeker.
    July 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM

No. No warning label.

• Courtney610
    July 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I rarely eat a hotdog.  If I do, the only brand i like is sahlens and they aren't even available in most of the country. 

They are pretty gross if you think about it. With that being said, my kids and husband love hot dogs, but they don't get them often.

• Charizma77
    July 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM

We eat Hebrew Nationals at home but yeah a hot dog every now and then aint so bad.

• maciymommieof3
    July 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM

H.N all beef are pretty darn good.

Quoting Charizma77:

We eat Hebrew Nationals at home but yeah a hot dog every now and then aint so bad.

• 4kidz916
    July 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I don't like hot dogs and neither do my kids.  I never buy them and we only eat them on occassion if we are at someone's house that has them.  Even then we don't always eat one, sometimes we just eat the sides that go with it.  They are bad for you if you eat them all the time.

• usmclife58
    August 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

How ridiculous. Soon there is going to be a warning label water.

• busymominmo
    August 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

My kids like hot dogs and I don't mind if they eat them. Too much of alot of foods can be bad for us. Moderation is key. JMO.

• Dani_Lynn
    August 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    Some water already should!

Quoting usmclife58:

How ridiculous. Soon there is going to be a warning label water.

• lovinangels
    August 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

No. No warning label.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN