Featured Posts
johnny4ever
Teen Mom-Amber
July 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM

'Teen Mom' Recap: Amber Portwood Is a Bad Stereotype

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on July 20, 2011 at 7:14 AM

The one thing that is always consistent on Teen Mom is some kind of drama and Tuesday's episode had plenty. As usual, of course, the other moms' drama paled in comparison to Amber and Gary's.

Catelynn and Tyler were dealing with parenting their parents (as per usual) when Tyler's dad Butch was released from prison and wanted to see Catelynn's mom (April). These two are such good kids despite coming from such hot messes for parents. No matter how bad some of the "baby daddies" on this show are, nobody is as pathetic as Butch.

He seems to want to love his children so badly and yet always messes up. Actually, he is a pretty good glimpse of what might happen to Amber if she doesn't shape up. As usual, it was Amber's antics that stole the show.

It's not that anything new happened with these two. And we all know the drama as it unfolds thanks to the tabloids and celebrity websites. But even knowing all this for months, it's still just amazing to see it all on film.

I am past the point of thinking MTV is editing it and now am convinced that Amber is every bit as awful as it seems. During the show, we get glimpses of the person she could be -- she clearly loves her daughter, it seems. But all of that is overshadowed by her constant whining (seriously, does this woman have another tone of voice?) and the fighting with Gary and the cursing.

At this point, it makes sense why Leah was taken away, but it also makes sense for her to get off the show. She is like a bad stereotype -- pregnant at 16, a high school drop-out, a person who can't take responsibility for herself or her actions. There is almost nothing she does that is "redeeming" that one doesn't have to dig to find. Simply put, she is a wreck and is giving all teen moms a bad name.

At this point, we get it. Armed with the tabloid knowledge, it's hard to see her struggle with CPS threatening to take Leah and police interviews to talk about her hitting Gary without focusing on the fact that things are only going to get worse for her.

Amber's time on the show has really passed. Like Butch, she isn't making choices that are consistent with a healthy, happy life. She really needs to get herself together in order to be a good mom to her baby and MTV isn't helping her do that. Who would ever hire her now? How can she ever have a life after the cameras leave?

People all know that Amber Portwood was the girl on Teen Mom who made a complete and utter fool of herself. She shows no signs of getting better. Maybe one day sweet baby Leah will be as responsible and helpful as Catelynn and Tyler, but I am not holding my breath.

Amber needs help before she ruins everyone else's life, too.

Do you think Amber should still be on the show?

Replies

• HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    July 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I think amber needs alot of help and it ticks me off that she isn't getting it. I know mtv doesn't step in and interfere but c'mon, why tape it and pay her to tape her and not do anything to help her?

• TexasWife
    July 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I think she should. It shows that other side. That some are still to immature to handle the responsibility of having a child. That you need to grow up and make sure you don't screw up your childs life. That is true for any age there are some women in their 20s and 30s that I don't think can handle the responsibility.

• TexasWife
    July 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

They are not allowed to interfere. They have to pay her for following her around. However, she has gotten help. I think it was court ordered but she has to go the anger management and I think she went to rehab for it. Dr. Drew apparently also meets with the girls as much as possible.

Quoting HTMommy:

I think amber needs alot of help and it ticks me off that she isn't getting it. I know mtv doesn't step in and interfere but c'mon, why tape it and pay her to tape her and not do anything to help her?

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I personally think they need to do away with the show all together.

• TheJerseyGirl
    July 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Amber should be on the show because it certainly de-glamourizes (new word...lol) being aa teen mother. I like that they show all different sides and stories of having kids so young.

• TheJerseyGirl
    July 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM

That and the Jersey Shore!

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

• sweettigeress
    July 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

This show really sucks.

• paganbaby
    July 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Amber should be on the show because it certainly de-glamourizes (new word...lol) being aa teen mother. I like that they show all different sides and stories of having kids so young.

• earthangel1967
    July 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I agree

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 21, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Yes!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

That and the Jersey Shore!

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts