Featured Posts
paganbaby
Would you support a parents right to have their childs earlobes removed? Poll~
July 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Lets say there was a religious practice that involved removing part of a babies earlobe. It's considered cleaner, healthier and more attractive to do so. The baby would be numb and of course an earlobe isn't a vital organ so it wouldn't affect their daily life.

Would you support it?

Would you want to ban this practice?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 33% - Yes. There's no reason to have a piece of your child cut off.
  2. 47% - No, It won't harm the child. It's the parents choice.
  3. 19% - I'm on the fence about this.

Replies

• Peanutx3
    July 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You take care of your child your way and I will take care of my child my way.  Government and its people need to mind their own business.

• paganbaby
    July 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I take it that you voted option number two?

Quoting Peanutx3:

You take care of your child your way and I will take care of my child my way.  Government and its people need to mind their own business.

• Peanutx3
    July 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Yep.  I get very tired of the government or some groups of people trying to tell us parents how to raise or feed our kids, what we can or can't do to our kids.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

• LindaClement
    July 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM

The argument I had with my doctor runs like this:

Why aren't infants routinely given appendectomies?

If their earlobes (in your example) get infected, or inflamed or might marginally increase some incredibly rare disease when they're a long way from immediate medical treatment... so?

If, on the other hand, a child has an appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness (or a natural disaster) and can't immediately get medical treatment their risk of dying increases a thousand fold.

If 'preventing disease' is what this is about, why not at least pick one of the diseases that is actually deadly?

• paganbaby
    July 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Fair enough. But where do you draw the line? When should a law be made to protect children from their parents choices?

Quoting Peanutx3:

Yep.  I get very tired of the government or some groups of people trying to tell us parents how to raise or feed our kids, what we can or can't do to our kids.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

• paganbaby
    July 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Fantastic point.

What does a circumcision prevent in the first place again?

Quoting LindaClement:

The argument I had with my doctor runs like this:

Why aren't infants routinely given appendectomies?

If their earlobes (in your example) get infected, or inflamed or might marginally increase some incredibly rare disease when they're a long way from immediate medical treatment... so?

If, on the other hand, a child has an appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness (or a natural disaster) and can't immediately get medical treatment their risk of dying increases a thousand fold.

If 'preventing disease' is what this is about, why not at least pick one of the diseases that is actually deadly?

• usmclife58
    July 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Oh dear. That is a bit of a stretch. Earlobes to foreskin... 

Even though that is a ridiculous comparison, I am going with option #2

• paganbaby
    July 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM

How is that a stretch? A piece of skin compared to a piece of skin?

Quoting usmclife58:

• usmclife58
    July 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I had a blond moment. Sorry. I was thinking the whole outer ear. Geez, I need a nap. You are right, it is a fair comparison.

I still stick with it being a parent's right to choose though. I am a big fan of people not taking my rights away ;)

Quoting paganbaby:

How is that a stretch? A piece of skin compared to a piece of skin?

Quoting usmclife58:

• johnny4ever
    July 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM

good 

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts