Cafe Denise
How do you entertain your kids in the car?
July 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Do you use any electronics to keep them occupied?

family in the van

Replies

• LindaClement
    July 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

My kids were little a long time ago, and we never used electronics to keep them occupied. 

We used recorded music (Sesame Street was a fave), often borrowed from the library for variety. Talking books were popular, especially the ones with the books to 'read along' with.

We found a used copy of a game called Are We There Yet (cards with things to find along the road)... but we played that anyhow --finding motorcycles, counting motorhomes, looking for the alphabet on signs and license plates, etc.

I drove a 5yo and a 2.5yo to Colorado by myself once and the #1 fave toy I bought from the dollar store before we left was a cheap makeup set. Other things we picked up included tiny pencil crayons and notepads, a lapdesk each, 'magnetic' vinyl stickers with a scene to place them in, and the ever-favourite toy of all time: about 1/2 the playmobil in our house. We took 2 rubbermaid bins of it, and it was used in the car, the hotels and at my sister's house when we got there.

We stopped a lot and played with skipping ropes and balls in rest stops, to work out the antsy pants, and they slept a lot more during the day than they normally would.

• midnight_storm
    July 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    They all have iPods with their favorite music on it. My older 2 usually brings a book to read. My youngest usually brings her dumbo, sometimes she'll bring a ds on longer trips to play.
  • shell81
    by shell81
    July 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Quoting Charli627:

Nintendo DS or just the radio usually.
  • prissypoptart
    July 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    Leapster and portable dvd
  • LivinDeadGurl
    July 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I usually ask my daughter what she wants to bring and make sure she has it.

The boys all sleep on long trips.

• usmclife58
    July 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Portable DVD player, a gameboy and/or Leapster, snacks