Featured Posts
Cafe Denise
How do you entertain your kids in the car?
July 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Do you use any electronics to keep them occupied?

family in the van

Replies

• LindaClement
    July 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM

My kids were little a long time ago, and we never used electronics to keep them occupied. 

We used recorded music (Sesame Street was a fave), often borrowed from the library for variety. Talking books were popular, especially the ones with the books to 'read along' with.

We found a used copy of a game called Are We There Yet (cards with things to find along the road)... but we played that anyhow --finding motorcycles, counting motorhomes, looking for the alphabet on signs and license plates, etc.

I drove a 5yo and a 2.5yo to Colorado by myself once and the #1 fave toy I bought from the dollar store before we left was a cheap makeup set. Other things we picked up included tiny pencil crayons and notepads, a lapdesk each, 'magnetic' vinyl stickers with a scene to place them in, and the ever-favourite toy of all time: about 1/2 the playmobil in our house. We took 2 rubbermaid bins of it, and it was used in the car, the hotels and at my sister's house when we got there.

We stopped a lot and played with skipping ropes and balls in rest stops, to work out the antsy pants, and they slept a lot more during the day than they normally would.

• midnight_storm
    July 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    They all have iPods with their favorite music on it. My older 2 usually brings a book to read. My youngest usually brings her dumbo, sometimes she'll bring a ds on longer trips to play.
  • shell81
    by shell81
    July 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Quoting Charli627:

Nintendo DS or just the radio usually.
  • prissypoptart
    July 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    Leapster and portable dvd
  • LivinDeadGurl
    July 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I usually ask my daughter what she wants to bring and make sure she has it.

The boys all sleep on long trips.

• usmclife58
    July 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Portable DVD player, a gameboy and/or Leapster, snacks

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN