Cafe AmyB
Elizabeth Smart will work for ABC. Will you tune in to check her out?
July 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Kidnap Victim Elizabeth Smart Takes On Brave New Role

Posted by Lindsay Mannering
on Jul 7, 2011

elizabeth smart

We all remember Elizabeth Smart as the girl who was kidnapped, but soon she may have another claim to "fame" -- it's rumored that ABC is ready to announce that they've hired Elizabeth Smart to be their go-to contributor and pundit covering missing persons stories. Smart will likely appear as the missing persons expert on Good Morning America and Nightline and will share her insight and personal understanding of kidnap events.

Smart was snatched from her Salt Lake City bedroom when she was 14 and was found nine months later -- her capture and recovery was widely reported in the news. Most recently, Smart testified to being threatened, tied, and raped daily during her captivity and has started a foundation to help teens avoid and recover from violent events.

Is it weird that Smart's going to use her terrifying pain for employment?

I don't think so. I agree that it seems a little bizarre, even creepy, possibly exploitative at first, but I want to give Smart a little more credit than assuming she's somehow "selling" her tragedy.

At 23-years-old, Smart is an intelligent college grad who's taken years to overcome the horrific events that took place in 2002. She's said she's ready to move on, and I think this correspondence job will help her do that. Yes, she'll have to talk about it, yes she'll relate the latest kidnapping or missing child's story to her own, yes she'll likely share some gory details of her personal experience, but I think that could be cathartic.

No one can change their history and I admire Smart for facing hers head on and using her horrifying experience to help others understand missing persons cases. I don't think collecting a paycheck for that is such a bad thing, either. 

The more information that's shared about kidnappings the better. If viewers only tune in to hear what Smart has to say about a case, because they're looking for an inside scoop, because they want Smart to say something salacious, then great. The more people who know about the story, the better, no matter what their motive.

Do you think Smart's new gig is creepy or cathartic?

Replies

• lenoxclan
    July 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    I don't know anything about her.. But, who better to understand the situation than someone who has been there! If it helps her and helps others, then good for her:)
  • Courtney610
    July 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Totally agree!

Quoting websorceress:

Something good has to come out of what happened to her. Bravo for her!!!  With her experience, she can help so many, she's a strong women and this country needs more strong women to lead the way.........I think it's awesome.....!!