Cafe AmyB
Do your kids have the "I'm bored" syndrome yet?
July 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

What are you doing to keep them active and occupied?

9 Must Play Games to Get Your Kids Outdoors This Summer

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on Jul 1, 2011

playing outside

Have you ever noticed that kids just can't wait for the school year to end? They're itching to finally get out from behind a desk and run around and jump and play and be a KID? And then two days after summer vacation begins, you walk downstairs in the morning to find them sitting on the couch looking like bumps on a log?

It's not that they don't want to have fun, but all that being in school, being told what to do all day has fried their PLAY brains. They don't know how to do it without being told. So here's a must-play, can't-fail list of games that will keep them outside and spark their creativity. They won't only just stay out there for a good long while being a normal kid, but you won't have to keep dragging them out there every day. Here goes:

1. Hose plus lawn equals mud. And mama wants a pie! The messiest kid is the winner!

2. Hot potato; played with water balloons.

3. Dig for China. What, Mom said we can dig in the lawn? Better yet: it's China, they'll be at it for days.

4. Pooh sticks in ditches. Best for the bigger kids with enough sense to steer clear of the cars, but throwing a few items into the rainwater and running down to the other end of the ditch is great fun. Even more fun? Watching what ELSE comes washing through.

5. Manhunt. Like hide and seek with flashlights. After dark!

6. Camping in the middle of the day. A game of pretend more so than a traditional "game," this is fun for kids who like having everyone drive by wondering what the heck they're doing. If you have a ham, this is the game for them.

7. Freeze tag.

8. Touch football.

9. Frisbee. 

What games kept you occupied for hours when you were a kid?

Replies

• rkoloms
    by rkoloms
    July 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM

bored = chores

• .MhacFoirfe.
    July 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Nope! My Son and I stay very busy every day, playing and learning and singing/dancing/listening to Music.
  • TheJerseyGirl
    July 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Do they ever?????

• TheJerseyGirl
    July 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

they have so much more than we had as kids yet are bored! We went outside and just played, hung out, whatever was better than sitting in the house.

• LindaClement
    July 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Ha ha ha. 

Keeping my kids 'occupied' was never my job. Whenever my kids whined about being bored, I knew 2 things:

1. they were physically depleted and either needed a change of scenery, water, food or sleep, and;

2. they were feeling trapped or angry and didn't know how to express it

My answer was as often 'weird, I'm not' as it was 'what are you going to do about that?'

• lenoxclan
    July 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Entertaining our kids is a constant battle..LOL

They get tv time, computer time, outside play time(early mornings and afternoons), pool time(afternoons), we go for walks in the evenings, parks or lake on days off.. Sometimes they help me clean(more entertaining for me I think!).. bike rides.

Mother May I is the latest game of choice:)

• 4kidz916
    July 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Mine don't.  We stay pretty busy so there's no time to get bored.

• johnny4ever
    July 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Do they ever?????

lol

• lovinangels
    July 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM

No way. Not ever. My oldest knows better than to complain- there are always chores to do~ and my younger ones don't know the word yet!~

• LuLu5J
    by LuLu5J
    July 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Not yet, thank goodness.  They have a fun babysitter and I make sure she takes them to the library and the park and out to do other things.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN