Have you ever noticed that kids just can't wait for the school year to end?
They're itching to finally get out from behind a desk and run around and
jump and play and be a KID? And then two days after summer
vacation begins, you walk downstairs in the morning to find them
sitting on the couch looking like bumps on a log?
It's not that they don't want to have fun, but all that being in school,
being told what to do all day has fried their PLAY brains. They don't know how
to do it without being told. So here's a must-play, can't-fail list of
games that will keep them outside and spark their creativity. They
won't only just stay out there for a good long while being a normal kid, but you
won't have to keep dragging them out there every day. Here goes:
1. Hose plus lawn equals mud. And mama wants a pie! The messiest kid is the
2. Hot potato; played with water balloons.
3. Dig for China. What, Mom said we can dig in the lawn? Better yet: it's
China, they'll be at it for days.
4. Pooh sticks in ditches. Best for the bigger kids with enough sense to
steer clear of the cars, but throwing a few items into the rainwater and running
down to the other end of the ditch is great fun. Even more fun? Watching what
ELSE comes washing through.
5. Manhunt. Like hide and seek with flashlights. After dark!
6. Camping in the middle of the day. A game of pretend more so than a
traditional "game," this is fun for kids who like having everyone drive by
wondering what the heck they're doing. If you have a ham, this is the game for
7. Freeze tag.
8. Touch football.
What games kept you occupied for hours when you were a kid?