Featured Posts
crazymomof2374
Lifeguards & Swimmer Ignored Drowned Woman's Body for Days
June 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Lifeguards & Swimmers Ignored Drowned Woman's Body for Days

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

swimming poolAs you consider ways to cool off this July 4th weekend, here's a story that may make you rethink a trip to your local public swimming pool. Earlier this week in Fall River, Massachusetts, the body of Marie Joseph, 36, was found in the town's pool. Sad and disturbing enough, but police believe the mother of three was actually floating there for two days before anyone noticed.

For TWO DAYS swimmers swam, dove, and had a grand old time in the sun, and no one noticed her body. It's unfathomable that something like that could happen, and what the hell were the lifeguards doing?

According to a story from Turnto10.com, Joseph went to Veteran's Memorial Pool on Sunday around 2 p.m. with some friends, including a 9-year-old boy she was watching go down a slide. Police believe she drowned after going down the slide herself. Police chief Daniel Racine told the station:

The boy stated that once he was in the water after coming down the slide, Marie unexpectedly slid down the slide landing on top of him. He further stated that she went under the water and did not surface.

Upon seeing this, the boy reportedly did exactly what he should have done -- he told a lifeguard. According to him, the lifeguard ignored him, which isn't hard to believe considering the lifeguards at this pool didn't notice the body for two days. 

Why the boy didn't tell anyone else, and why the woman's friends left without her aren't clear, but no one found her until about 10 p.m. Tuesday. That means all day Monday and all day Tuesday (when the pool was reportedly busy and bustling), she was there and no one noticed. How can that happen? I mean it's not like the murky ocean; pools are pretty clear and transparent ... or should be. Just yesterday my husband spotted and rescued a little baby possum from our backyard pool. That guy was tiny; a woman is much bigger!

Police are investigating, and the pool has been shut down until they try to figure out what went wrong. But wow, does this case ever raise some serious and scary questions about the quality of lifeguards and just how self-absorbed people may be to not even notice a dead woman beside them.

How do you think it's possible for a woman to float dead in a public swimming pool for two days with no one noticing?

Replies

• johnny4ever
    June 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM

wow!

• prissypoptart
    June 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    Ooooooo eeeemmm. Geeeeeeee!

Maybe the suction of the drains at the bottom had her pulled under?? I know they are doing a lot of major work on Chicago pools for this problem...
  • aidansmommy219
    June 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

oh wow....

• fineyouguyswin
    June 30, 2011 at 6:06 PM

wow that is crazy

• ashleighd1006
    June 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Gross! How can no one notice a dead body floating at the bottom of the pool? If that was my family member there would be a major lawsuit on the way

• mumsy2three
    July 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

This is sad and gross. I just read this on CNN this morning. CNN's article said that the deep end of the pool was cloudy not clear and her body was on the bottom of the pool and when it floated to the top was when she was noticed.

here's a link to CNN's article.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/30/massachusetts.pool.woman.body/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• sweettigeress
    July 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

That's awful. Truly awful that not even her friends checked to make sure she was ok. 

• PurpleHazey
    July 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

OMG, that is awful.

• lenoxclan
    July 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I read this in another group this morning.. So sick and so wrong..

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN