Featured Posts
prissypoptart
autism and communication.
June 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I could really use the Samsung galaxy. My son is 4yo and diagnosed with autism. He is low functioning and non verbal. I have been researching communication devices for disabled individuals. There are programs for touch devices that can help non verbal individuals communicate by using familiar pictures and putting them in story line. We have tried the android version for Thaddeus and it is amazing! When he wants to eat or use the bathroom or even display an emotion that would normally cause a meltdown he just taps the widget and it says what he wants or needs. It has so many great qualities for disabled people.
This device would come in so handy for Thaddeus ongoing therepy.
Thank you for listening!

Replies

• prissypoptart
    June 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    Bump
  • Liansmommie
    June 30, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Quoting prissypoptart:

Bump

• sweettigeress
    July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

That is amazing.

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I would love one for the same reason. My oldest son also has low-functioning Autism and is non-verbal.

• prissypoptart
    July 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    Its rough to see your Los struggle to communicate. I always listen in on all the kids when Tj plays at the park or MC Donald's. They say,"is he a baby?" Or, "he's weird" and they run away from him.. Tj thinks they are playing a chase game so he doesn't know better.. its hard not to hurt for him. But I also don't want to embarrass him when I step in..
  • TheJerseyGirl
    July 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM

My son is also autistic but high functioning ....I can only imagine how much harder things are for you and him.

• TheJerseyGirl
    July 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I know that must break your heart!

Quoting prissypoptart:

Its rough to see your Los struggle to communicate. I always listen in on all the kids when Tj plays at the park or MC Donald's. They say,"is he a baby?" Or, "he's weird" and they run away from him.. Tj thinks they are playing a chase game so he doesn't know better.. its hard not to hurt for him. But I also don't want to embarrass him when I step in..

• prissypoptart
    July 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    If anyone else has researched this, the application is called "tap to talk"
    Toucan change the user interface and create new social stories as your child grows and changes. For those of you with children who have changing g needs, this is crutial for his/her development
  • TruthSeeker.
    July 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I hope you get one!! My son is also Autistic, but we have been very fortunate and he has been in ABA therapy 30+ hours a week for a year and a half and we finally have communication! I hope for your little man that he will also one day speak!

Don't give up hope!

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Quoting prissypoptart:

Most kids just stay away from my son. I do have a lot of people asking what is wrong with him though since he is almost 5 and just kind of babbles.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN