Featured Posts
carolina_gal
If a woman breaks an engagement should she return the ring?
June 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Or do you consider it a gift she can keep?

Replies

• troll.mom
    June 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

there are many factors that come to mind.. if it was given on a holiday (vday, christmas, birthday, hanukkah) then no, if it was given on any ordinary day yes or if it is a family ring then yes.

my friend actually went to court for this.. he proposed on V-day.. she broke the egagement off and kept the ring, the judge ruled in her favor (male judge) and said it is considered a gift.  she got to keep it.  he did give a word of advice to the men in the court room, dont do it on a holiday.  lol.  none of my male friends after that did it on a holiday

• Barronbaby
    June 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    Give it back.
  • itsallabtthem84
    June 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Depends. If it is a family heirloom I think she should, but if it's not then I don't think she should.

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    June 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    I agree

Quoting HTMommy:

I think if it is a family heirloom it should be returned, bc she is no longer part of the family and it is NOT her property. I also think it depends on the terms of the breakup. If he cheated she can keep it, if it was mutual and just fell out of love, I think the respectable thing to do is to give it back.

• Strega
    by Strega
    June 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    Totally agree.

Quoting inmybizz:

an engagement ring is promise to marry..If the woman breaks the engagement she should return the ring..If the man breaks the engagement she keeps the ring..that's what i have always heard.. 

• LuLu5J
    by LuLu5J
    June 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I think she should.  The only exception, to me, is if he cheated on her, then she doesn't own him anything.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I think it should be returned. It was given to her as a gift to be married. If the marriage isn't happening, the gift would never have been bought otherwise, so I honestly think she should give it back.

• KamsOne
    by KamsOne
    June 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I like this!

Quoting inmybizz:

an engagement ring is promise to marry..If the woman breaks the engagement she should return the ring..If the man breaks the engagement she keeps the ring..that's what i have always heard.. 

• Wyldbutterfly
    June 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Honestly, I think it's something that should be returned. If a woman breaks the engagment, why would she want to keep the ring?

• RayneofTerror
    June 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM

i believe the ring should be returned no matter who ended it. regardless of the terms of the break up. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN