pootersmomi
Moms of boys, do you encourage them not cry as it's not "manly"?
June 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I often hear father's tell their sons not to cry as they're being babies or sissies.

I don't mind if my DS cries. I think it's good to release his emotions.

Replies

• LuLu5J
    by LuLu5J
    June 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

No way, I think that's unhealthy.  My son is not a big crier in general unless he's really had his feelings hurt of he's been hurt badly physically.  And when these thing happen I let him cry it out because it's good for him.

• vjnj2007
    June 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    No, I have heard family members say that to their sons and I think its awful. It's their way of expressing their feeling at that time.
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

No, absolutely not.

• johnny4ever
    June 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM

nope

• sxymomma20
    June 27, 2011 at 12:54 PM

depending on the type of cry  if its fake i tell him to dry it up other than that i dont mind him crying because he rarly does it uncompared to the fake......i know his daddy cant stand it though mostly its do to the fake cry

• steelcrazy
    June 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

No, I encourage my boys to express every emotion that they feel.  Supressing emotions isn't good for you.

• fineyouguyswin
    June 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM

No crying is HUMAN. They are encouraged to express all emotions.

• Strega
    by Strega
    June 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Exactly. I've heard people say they're afraid of raising a crybaby. Kids need to be Kids and live in the moments. If they're sad or hurt, let them cry if they need to.

Quoting vjnj2007:

No, I have heard family members say that to their sons and I think its awful. It's their way of expressing their feeling at that time.

• girlygirl320
    June 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    No.
  • .MhacFoirfe.
    June 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    Gosh, no! That's a horrible thing to do. There is nothing wrong with crying, no matter your gender. My Husband and I teach Our Son not to cry over nothing, but it's ok to cry if He is hurt, upset, etc.