CafeMom Team
Moms are staying more organized with their Samsung Galaxy Tab
June 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

We know it's sometimes hard to organize those ever growing to-do lists. But with the help of Samsung, some moms are staying a bit more organized.

We gave five moms the Samsung Galaxy Tab and asked them to share their opinions on the cool features of the tab (including the organizational ones). Read what they have to say and then share how electronics are keeping you more organized as a mom. 

For additional information on the Samsung Galaxy, click here.

Replies

• CafeMom Team
    June 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Read some of the highlights of the Samsung Galaxy:

I can organize my favorites for work in one screen,  home in another and of course, cafemom in yet another! I have already loaded the calander with important upcoming events for both home and personal life and have put music on it straight from my PC.  - Excitedforbaby

My family loves it for the games, but I can really see how it is going to give me the tools to be more organized, from paying bills on time, to planning meals and schedules, getting chores accomplished, and birthday cards in the mail!  Plus, it is so easy to keep up to date with friends & news online when it's literally at my fingertips! -LovesFredric

• SpencersMommy92
    June 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Day One:  Part One

So today I received an email from cafemom telling me I was chosen to receive a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I started to get really excited, but since the mail never shows up til late in the afternoon I simply sat here cafemomin' while my son and his cousin played in the living room. I then decided that I should probably put a note on the apartment door that our mail carrier should knock loudly because our air conditioner is on and it's hard to hear if someone is at the door. I opened the door to tape the note to it, and my Samsung Galaxy Tablet was sitting on the floor in front of me door!!!Woohoo! I was so excited!

I opened it up, hooked everything up, and realized I don't have WIRELESS INTERNET. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL......however, I called comcast to see how long it would take to receive acomcast wireless router and had the representative talk me into getting Triple Play which saves me 25 bucks a month! So thanks again, Cafemom! ;) 

Our router will be here in about a week, so right now I can't play with my new toy. However, my sister is on her way to pick up my nephew soon and my son and I are going to walk to the library which has FREE WIFI!!! :) He can play in the kids section at the train table and I am going to fool around on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY TABLET!!!! More to come when we get home! :) Thanks againCafemom for letting me a part of this promotion.  This gadget is also so thin that once I get a leatherbound cover for it I will be able to simply slip it into my purse and carry it with me. So portable, which is going to be one of the best parts about it I am sure. 

• Excitedforbaby
    June 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I just came home from work and it's HERE!!!!  I have pictures and will write a full review soon.  I need to play with it first ;)  Thank you CafeMom for this opportunity!

Okay!  Here we go.

First off- wow!!!   It's SO lightweight and THIN!   We are going on vacation for 1.5 weeks next Friday and I am so excited that I will not have to lug my laptop along with me!    

I have been playing around with the different icons and manipulating the personaolization features.  You can have almost a revolving deskop, where with a swipe you can go to another "area" of the desktop with more icons on it!

I can organize my favorites for work in one screen,  home in another and of course, cafemom in yet another!   

Alerts let me know when I receive new emails - even if it's on power saving mode.  I can walk away and know when I get that ever important work email.

Speaking of work email, I have it configured to the mail icon on my deskop, which is wonderful for ease of use!

I have already loaded the calander with important upcoming events for both home and personal life and have put music on it straight from my PC.  

Another thing about the Galaxy that I LOVE is that I can use it while I'm nursing!!  It's so lightweight that it's not cumbersome like the laptop and not stationary like the deskop, but has a nice big viewing area unlike my blackberry (we're techie nerds here!).  

I was WOW'd by the two cameras and video.  Also by how you can look at something and flip it upside down to show someone on the other side of you and the screen flips up!

The picture quality is wonderful as is the video- HD!!  

The navigation app takes me to my house, and as we walked in circles, it changes directions to show you where you're facing- super neat!

Apps!! There are lots of free apps that you can get for the Galaxy- including, of course Angry Birds!! hehe- the kids LOVE that feature!

Here are some pics of us taking it out of the box and discovering what it can do!  

The CafeMom letter!

Opening it up- so pretty lol

I love the picture below- you can see my 13 yr old staring at the baby through the Galaxy but in the backround (behind my right hand) you see the baby in the picture =)

My husband was behind me when I took this one below.   Showing the camera can face both ways!

The next are pictures taken WITH the Galaxy!  

The quality is better than my digital camera..!!

• LovesFredric
    June 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Ladies - hold onto your britches because this tablet is insane!! lol!  I had never heard of the Samsung Galaxy Tab before this program, and it is hard to even imagine what I was missing!!  Let me tell you about some of my explorations so far:

I've added pictures tonight - I apologize for the darkness of the photos, natural light would have been much better!

It's been such a pleasure getting to know the galaxy!  My family loves it for the games, but I can really see how it is going to give me the tools to be more organized, from paying bills on time, to planning meals and schedules, getting chores accomplished, and birthday cards in the mail!  Plus, it is so easy to keep up to date with friends & news online when it's literally at my fingertips!

It is soooo cute!!

Starting off with the tablet requires a certain amount of fearlessness....just tap icons and see where they take you!  I haven't broken anything yet big smile miniand I've been learning a lot just by taping, swiping, and exploring!  I also immediately bought a cover for the tablet to keep it nice and snuggly and safe.

CAMERA!! There are two of them!!  No tilting, and stretching, and wondering if you got the right shot.  The camera can face outward like a regular camera - then tap and icon - and it switches to the camera pointing right at you.  This makes snuggling up with my munchkin and taking sweet shots of us a breeze!  Oh and there is VIDEO too, so my son was playing around making silly faces and singing while watching himself on the screen.

GOOGLE TALK - yeah that's video chat right from your couch or the office or kitchen or where ever you might be!  No more being tied to the computer on skype.  Video chat from the tab is way too cool and an awesome way to stay in touch with relatives that are a bit too far away.

EMAIL - it looks like my real email!  For the most part it functions flawlessly like it too (slight learning curve learning how to reply lol).  I already am a huge fan of Gmail which is integrated into the tablet already.  I can be doing anything on the tablet and see a small icon pop up when I get an email - super easy.

BROWSING - large display...tabs...easy...fast...need I say more?

Here's a screenshot of our conversation here on CM - so easy to navigate and read!

VOICE SEARCH - I swear this feature is from the future lol - I just say something to the tablet and it looks it up on google for me.  Whoa!!  We've said some tricky stuff and it has been right each time! 

I have realized that voice is enabled around the tablet!!

Here I was doing a voice search on youtube!

PULSE is a collection of news sources and stories on the screen.  Easily customizable to the news I want, including facebook feeds, and other stuff.  It has an icon to let me know when there is new news. Tons of cartoon intstructables to walk me through it; I'll be doing more with this later.

CALENDAR & ALARMS - I'm working on updating the calendar which is going to be awesome for keeping my life in line.  I need to work on this more, but I'm thinking bill paying reminders (ugh I need help with that!!), birthday card reminders, scheduling weekly and other chores, summer activities, playdates, husband's schedule, etc.  I can see this being great!

I have worked on my camera, adding different colors for general, bills, and birthdays so far.  I still have some more to do, and I had a great idea to incorporate meal planning & grocery shopping!! I'm not sure if I'll use and app or the calendar yet, but I know this is going to be a great tool for it!

The SCREEN is flawless.  It can auto-adjust how it is lit depending on the brightness of the room you are in.  I watched a video about the galaxy to get a better idea of its capabilities, and I can see myself watching instructional web videos on this for crafts and watching educational videos with my kids.  I also got a free app (the first of many) that allows us to write with our our finger on the screen.  My son was able to write and practice his letter; this is going to be a great tool for him!

Here I am swiping through the front screens.  They are completely customizeable and there is so much room for apps, widgets, pictures, contacts, etc!

Customization screen

One way to scroll through your pages, apps, and bookmarks

Apps!

Settings are very easy to navigate, understand, and customize

Woot!! Office :)

So that's it for now - I am going to work on my calendar some more this weekend and get some pictures and screen shots to show you guys exactly what I'm talking about!!

LOVE!

• tashntim
    June 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Ok, I've had my tablet charging all day, and just got to play with it once dh came home..I wanted to wait because my son kept eyeing it, lol.

As soon as I turned it on I literally said, "oh boy!" because even the starting graphics were crisp and vivid. It reminds me a lot of my phone in how it works, so that helps with it being user friendly.

So far, I can't seem to get in the market to get any apps...I have it connected to my WiFi, and it keeps timing out on me :( Same with the internet, it just times out. So I'll be taking it with me to Starbucks tomorrow and see if the same thing happens with their WiFi. I know mine isn't messed up because I'm on my laptop right now, lol.

Oh, and it has books on it!!! So I really hope I can get the WiFi working, because my next purchase was going to be a Nook, but I can use this instead :)

...more to come...

Ok, have the WiFi working, and this thing is AWESOME!!! Hubby won't leave it alone, lol. Going to play with it this weekend and post an official review on Monday :)

• SpencersMommy92
    June 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I am so excited to review this product and can not wait until it arrives at my door.....anticipation and intrigue is beginning to set in! :)

• iluv2read
    June 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Fabulous! Can't wait to read their thoughts! :)

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    June 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Wow!  How exciting!  Can't wait to hear about it!

• johnny4ever
    June 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Quoting SpencersMommy92:

Day One: 

So today I received an email from cafemom telling me I was chosen to receive a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I started to get really excited, but since the mail never shows up til late in the afternoon I simply sat here cafemomin' while my son and his cousin played in the living room. I then decided that I should probably put a note on the apartment door that our mail carrier should knock loudly because our air conditioner is on and it's hard to hear if someone is at the door. I opened the door to tape the note to it, and my Samsung Galaxy Tablet was sitting on the floor in front of me door!!!Woohoo! I was so excited!

I opened it up, hooked everything up, and realized I don't have WIRELESS INTERNET. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL......however, I called comcast to see how long it would take to receive acomcast wireless router and had the representative talk me into getting Triple Play which saves me 25 bucks a month! So thanks again, Cafemom! ;) 

Our router will be here in about a week, so right now I can't play with my new toy. However, my sister is on her way to pick up my nephew soon and my son and I are going to walk to the library which has FREE WIFI!!! :) He can play in the kids section at the train table and I am going to fool around on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY TABLET!!!! More to come when we get home! :) Thanks againCafemom for letting me a part of this promotion. 

CONGRATS!!!!!

• SpencersMommy92
    June 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Thanks Johnny. Can't wait to head to library. My sister should be here soon and I will be enjoying some FREE WIFI at the library until I get my wireless router in the mail. :)