Featured Posts
Cafe AmyB
Would you let your 7 year old dye her hair purple?
June 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Courtney Cox just did. Would you?

Smart Mom Courteney Cox Lets 7-Year-Old Dye Hair Purple

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on Jun 13, 2011 

Courteney Cox daughter coco

There's been much ado in my house in the past few weeks about a certain just-turned-6-year-old's hair. Kiddo wants to grow it out like Rapunzel. I'd like to run a brush through it daily without hitting on split ends. We could keep on fighting, but at the end of the day, I'm taking the Courteney Cox approach to hair for the elementary set.

The Friends star was spotted out and about with her own birthday girl, daughter Coco, at a hair salon, where the 7-year-old had blue and purple highlights streaked into her brown 'do. The Daily Mail took its expected thwacks at the actress for treating her 7-year-old like a teenager, but I'd like to give Cox two giant thumbs up from the parenting world for a refreshing dose of reality. Repeat after me folks. It ... is ... just ... hair. It's NOT worth fighting about.

Aside from the dangerous (I was once asked if I dyed my infant's hair blond -- that would be a negative, you ninnies), there's little about the locks that can really get me going. So you want to grow it out? Great. Want to cut it off? Go for it. Otherwise? I'm with Cox ... let your freak flag fly little one.

We have ground rules in our house, sure. It has to be kept clean, reasonably neat, and for cripes' sake, will you STOP chewing on it? But bad cuts grow out. Scary colors can be snipped out. Even a hunk of gum can be fixed. The beauty of hair is that it's one of the body's few renewable resources.

A tattoo is going to mark their body forever and really should be limited to adulthood, when you can weigh out how it will feel to present the boss with a forehead that reads "F--k the establishment." Piercings can scar, and when it comes to beauty treatments, I'll direct you back to "aside from the dangerous" because the regulation of the "kiddie cosmetics" industry absolutely terrifies me.

So what does that leave? Hair. They can wear it up. They can wear it down. They can shave it down to the skin or stop cutting it for two years. And provided they stick to the basic: keep it clean and neat (and OUT OF THE MOUTH because I have found pictures of those kids with hairballs in their stomachs on the Internet, and it's not pretty), life goes on. By next week, the dye is lightening. The mohawk is growing out.

Whatever it is, they don't change our kids on the inside. Those split ends sure don't mean my kid is falling to pieces, so I'm betting Coco Arquette isn't suddenly acting like a teenager with that dyed hair.

Do you care what happens with your kids' hair, provided it's neat and clean? Are purple highlights really such a big deal?

Replies

• njmomof3
    June 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM

That's funny.  My daughter doesn't even want that spray color in her hair.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I honestly wouldn't let my 7 year old dye her hair purple.

• ADozenPlus
    June 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM

First I want to state that I am a pretty straight-laced, conservative gal. I'm old fashioned, kinda shy, and don't really like to draw negative attention to myself.

That being said, I think I would let her bug me about it for about, say, a year or so. I certainly wouldn't agree just for the asking. Then if she was still serious, I'd agree to let her do it as a one time thing, maybe for her birthday. I would make it very clear to her that this was not going to be the norm. Maybe give her an extra hard chore to accomplish during the year as a way of earning the "special priviledge" of looking totally weird in public. That would also tone down the begging, and possibly dissuade her without me actually being "the bad guy".

Through the years I did learn to pick my battles, and the color of hair went into the "no battle" zone pretty close in. For a time my oldest teenage son kept bleaching his hair (despite my warnings he would go bald someday). Well, he didn't listen and now..... lets just say his hair aint what it used to be! (he's 27)

• TheJerseyGirl
    June 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM

mine used to give me a hard time WASHING it, let alone trying to hold her down to color it!LOL

• bamababe1975
    June 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

At 7, I'm okay with stuff that sprays on and washes out, but nothing more than that. When they're teens, however, I'd be fine with their doing semi-permanent color as long as it's not too far out there so that it violates the school dress code. Hubby, however, says, no color as long as they're under his roof, lol, but he does allow streaks or whatever for Halloween since that washes out. 

• BraythansMom
    June 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Not dye that sticks but the stuff that comes out in a few washes would be fine :)
  • CrystalJulianna
    June 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Nope

• MsBS26
    by MsBS26
    June 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM

spray and wash is fine (not permanent). however only for speical ocasions (aka: hollween, preformances, ect.) i wouldnt want her to wear it just to school.

• .JuneDiva629.
    June 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Nope

• Nov.2011
    June 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM

i wouldn't let my kid dye their hair ever til they reached about 16

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts