Cafe AmyB
Russell Crowe Thinks Moms Who Circumcise Are Wrong. Agree? Disagree?
June 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Well alrighty then. I guess he's completely entitled to his opinion.

Russell Crowe Thinks Moms Who Circumcise Are Wrong

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on Jun 10, 2011

russell crowe

I have a great idea for who should replace The Sperminator as governor of California: Russell Crowe! We know he'd at least have San Francisco's vote, now that the famously outspoken actor has set a huge social media fire by tweeting that "circumcision is barbaric and stupid." I should point out that Crowe did not make this comment apropos of nothing; apparently it was made in response to a tweet asking his opinion on the topic. Well, that's his opinion! What, you were expecting some diplomatic, middle-of-the-road reply? Didn't think so. Anyway, I'm not offended, but that's probably because I didn't get my son circumcised.

Before you put Crowe's words in my mouth (hmm, that sounds kind of hot), I am NOT saying that I think circumcision is barbaric or stupid. When I made the decision to not circumcise, I had no ethnic or religious ties to the practice ... so why would I hand my infant son over to be cut? I didn't, and don't, buy the theory that a circumcised penis is a cleaner penis -- maybe that made sense back in biblical times when bathing wasn't yet a daily thing, but not now.

It amazes me that in the age of anti-bacterial soaps and frequent showers, the "dirty foreskin" myth persists. And that's only the tip of the ... er, iceberg. "What about when he's older and, you know, has a girlfriend?" That's a question I've head more times than I can count, generally from other moms who already had their sons circumcised. (To which I raise an eyebrow and say, "In my experience, it doesn't make a difference." That usually shuts people up.)

So actually, I'm kind of happy about Russell Crowe's tweet. Gives me more comeback ammunition for the next time I get the typical male response to my decision: "But a boy's penis should look like his father's!" Uh, really?

Do you agree or disagree with Russell Crowe?

Replies

• Liansmommie
    June 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM

It is nice to get a guy's opinion on it. As much a I appreciate having moms to talk to, they are seriously lacking in personal experience in this department.  Never mind that all the men I know, those who have expressed an opinon anyway, disagree with him, his opinion is his own and he welcome to express. Not offensive at all to me.

• NearSeattleMom
    June 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I really think it's a personal decision and I wouldn't judge another mom who chose differently than I did.

• njmomof3
    June 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

That's one man's opinion...

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I agree with Shell. It is refreshing to hear a man's opinion on the matter.

With that said, I don't agree or disagree. I don't see the point in circumcision, but I am by no means against it.

• lenoxclan
    July 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I think it's a parents choice and everyone who chooses NOT to do it shouldn't bash the ones that do and vice versa.. I think people spend to much time judging others chooses and need to just worry about themselves and their families..