Featured Posts
Cafe AmyB
Russell Crowe Thinks Moms Who Circumcise Are Wrong. Agree? Disagree?
June 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Well alrighty then. I guess he's completely entitled to his opinion.

Russell Crowe Thinks Moms Who Circumcise Are Wrong

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on Jun 10, 2011

russell crowe

I have a great idea for who should replace The Sperminator as governor of California: Russell Crowe! We know he'd at least have San Francisco's vote, now that the famously outspoken actor has set a huge social media fire by tweeting that "circumcision is barbaric and stupid." I should point out that Crowe did not make this comment apropos of nothing; apparently it was made in response to a tweet asking his opinion on the topic. Well, that's his opinion! What, you were expecting some diplomatic, middle-of-the-road reply? Didn't think so. Anyway, I'm not offended, but that's probably because I didn't get my son circumcised.

Before you put Crowe's words in my mouth (hmm, that sounds kind of hot), I am NOT saying that I think circumcision is barbaric or stupid. When I made the decision to not circumcise, I had no ethnic or religious ties to the practice ... so why would I hand my infant son over to be cut? I didn't, and don't, buy the theory that a circumcised penis is a cleaner penis -- maybe that made sense back in biblical times when bathing wasn't yet a daily thing, but not now.

It amazes me that in the age of anti-bacterial soaps and frequent showers, the "dirty foreskin" myth persists. And that's only the tip of the ... er, iceberg. "What about when he's older and, you know, has a girlfriend?" That's a question I've head more times than I can count, generally from other moms who already had their sons circumcised. (To which I raise an eyebrow and say, "In my experience, it doesn't make a difference." That usually shuts people up.)

So actually, I'm kind of happy about Russell Crowe's tweet. Gives me more comeback ammunition for the next time I get the typical male response to my decision: "But a boy's penis should look like his father's!" Uh, really?

Do you agree or disagree with Russell Crowe?

Replies

• Liansmommie
    June 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM

It is nice to get a guy's opinion on it. As much a I appreciate having moms to talk to, they are seriously lacking in personal experience in this department.  Never mind that all the men I know, those who have expressed an opinon anyway, disagree with him, his opinion is his own and he welcome to express. Not offensive at all to me.

• NearSeattleMom
    June 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I really think it's a personal decision and I wouldn't judge another mom who chose differently than I did.

• njmomof3
    June 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM

That's one man's opinion...

• LivinDeadGurl
    July 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I agree with Shell. It is refreshing to hear a man's opinion on the matter.

With that said, I don't agree or disagree. I don't see the point in circumcision, but I am by no means against it.

• lenoxclan
    July 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I think it's a parents choice and everyone who chooses NOT to do it shouldn't bash the ones that do and vice versa.. I think people spend to much time judging others chooses and need to just worry about themselves and their families..

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts