Plum Tomato Tart
November 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Yield: 8 Servings
- The cheese dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour $
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. ice water
- The filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint red and/or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus leaves for garnish
- Make dough: Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter and mozzarella until size of peas. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. ice water on top, stirring with a fork to moisten evenly. Add water just until dough comes together when pressed. Pat dough together to form a ball and knead lightly. Flatten ball into a disk, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into an 11-inch round. Ease into a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Fold in overhang and press dough against side of pan so it extends 1/8 inch above rim. Line with parchment paper and refrigerate until firm, at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Fill shell with pie weights and bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment paper and weights and bake for 5 minutes longer. Let pan cool on a rack.
- Make filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add plum tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes.
- Spread tomato mixture on crust and top with sliced tomatoes. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove side of pan, garnish with basil and serve.
by gmadianeNovember 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM
November 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Hmmm...... I don't know about this one Mandee :)