The Family Piggy Bank

FindersKeepers
Christmas debt?
December 3, 2016 at 11:42 AM

We have had a long tough year personally and financially.  Things are looking up for next year so I am not worried about it.  However, Christmas will be sparse. I refuse to use credit for any gifts even if I know that we have a significant amount of money coming in January.   I told DH that we could just do 'Christmas in January' but he said no.  He wants us to just do the modest Christmas we have planned and let it go. 

Is anyone else giving themselves the gift of a debt free January?

I know gifts are not important, but it does feel weird to not be gifts shopping while everyone else is busy doing it.

Replies

• michiganmom116
    December 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM

It feels like FREEDOM to not be gifts shopping!

Our Christmas will be sparse.  I lost my full-time job due to a back injury and we're pinching pennies just to pay bills.  My kids are teens & adults and know the situation.  They don't expect any gifts, just for the grandkids.  Luckily I'm pretty crafty.  My oldest two grandkids are getting afghans, the next youngest two are getting hats/mitts/scarves with Paw Patrol appliques, and the youngest will be only 3 months and getting a minky fleece blanket.  I'll hit up the dollar store for stocking stuffers and little toys, but that'll be it for Christmas gifts.

BUT...we'll owe NOTHING for Christmas after it's over.

• lucy1997
    December 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Nope.  We won't be taking on more debt.  We are following the Dave Ramsey plan of snowballing our debt.  We bought a few items for our kids and also sponsored a child (spending $40) for Project Angel Tree, but that is it.  

• FindersKeepers
    December 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Sorry about the job loss and back injury, but I am glad it is not getting you down. 

Someone else mentioned that they are making crochet dolls.  I thought that was super cute and wish I was crafty. Sounds like your gifts will be much loved.  

Quoting michiganmom116:

It feels like FREEDOM to not be gifts shopping!

Our Christmas will be sparse.  I lost my full-time job due to a back injury and we're pinching pennies just to pay bills.  My kids are teens & adults and know the situation.  They don't expect any gifts, just for the grandkids.  Luckily I'm pretty crafty.  My oldest two grandkids are getting afghans, the next youngest two are getting hats/mitts/scarves with Paw Patrol appliques, and the youngest will be only 3 months and getting a minky fleece blanket.  I'll hit up the dollar store for stocking stuffers and little toys, but that'll be it for Christmas gifts.

BUT...we'll owe NOTHING for Christmas after it's over.

• HappyMommyToo
    December 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    Instead of buying gifts, try doing crafting for gifts...I found a ton of stuff on Pinterest. With hubby not working, it helped me figure out ways to make things for people that they would appreciate without having to spend a ton of money..but we are still not debt free..hopefully next year!
  • FindersKeepers
    December 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM

I am not very creative.  Plus I work fulltime and go to school.  Finals are coming up.  Even if I had some talent, I don't have any time to craft.   I did make my mom a table runner at a sewing class earlier in the year... but fabric was actually pretty expensive.  It probably would have been cheaper to buy one. 

Quoting HappyMommyToo: Instead of buying gifts, try doing crafting for gifts...I found a ton of stuff on Pinterest. With hubby not working, it helped me figure out ways to make things for people that they would appreciate without having to spend a ton of money..but we are still not debt free..hopefully next year!

• lucy1997
    December 5, 2016 at 5:49 PM

How about hosting a cookie exchange party?  Great way to get together with friends and family without breaking the bank.  

• FindersKeepers
    December 5, 2016 at 8:44 PM

That does sound fun.  We don't exchange with many friends so external gifts are not a factor.  And sadly our family lives too far away.  

Quoting lucy1997:

How about hosting a cookie exchange party?  Great way to get together with friends and family without breaking the bank.  

• chicken13
    December 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I have never been a fan of going into debt (or more debt) to buy xmas presents.  I hate looking at the carefully wrapped gifts under the tree and knowing they aren't paid for.  It really snuffs out my holiday spirit.  

We have a cash xmas...cash is determined based on how well dh does that year (and how well our finances cooperated).

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts