The Family Piggy Bank

MonarchMom22
Life insurance - have you planned?
May 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM

All the posts about children, step-children and life insurance in the other threads made me wonder: have you planned for life insurance and considered everyone in the familly?

Life insurance is for much more then just replacing income. It could pay off the mortgage balance, send kids to college, finance retirement, care for SN kids, or cover funeral and estate taxes.

When I made my insurance plans, I thought far enough out to cover college expenses for minors, and also to extend that coverage for the financial help I might give my child into adulthood. For instance it could fund a financial gift for a first home purchase, funding for future grandchildens education, or replace emergency help that adults sometimes need when getting started. I tried to plan coverage for the financial assistance I would be willing and able to give in my lifetime.

Of course I also had another policy to cover my income loss, with my spouse as beneficiary.

I don't understand families that only consider the second spouse and children, or think reaching age 18 suddenly means the child will never deserve any help again. It is heartbreaking to think of these kids who lose a parent, and then are also cut off from any financial support for the rest of their lives. 

Replies

• KylesMom409
    May 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    We're in the process of getting additional life insurance.
  • MissyB1011
    May 30, 2016 at 3:41 AM
    DH, both kiddos, and I all have life insurance policies. Our mortgage is about to be paid off, so that is a big expense we don't have to prep for if something happens.
  • ivf_blessed
    June 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I made it part of our separation agr/divorce decree that he would carry a $250k policy with me as primary bene until our youngest is 21 years old.  He has to show me proof that it is still active and I am still primary bene each year.  It's not much but I knew that's what he could afford.

Once we were divorced, I established a Living Will and Trust then I bought a much larger life insurance policy naming my Trust as the beneficiary.  The Trust Income will take care of the kids financial needs until they are old enough to split the Trust assets, I think I chose age 35 if I'm not mistaken.

• FindersKeepers
    July 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM

We have life insurance... but I am realizing the importance of a well written will.   =(

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts