The Family Piggy Bank

gmadiane
Gift cards or cash?
January 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Which would you choose and why?

Replies

• ivf_blessed
    January 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

CASH!!!!  I split cash into savings and spending - with a gift card, I would just spend. =0)

• HisSweetheart07
    January 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

It would depend on what and who it was for. 

For myself - Gift cards, because I like them. It makes me buy stuff from places I wouldn't normally buy from. For example: I never go into bath & body works - simply because I know, I will spend $50 and not blink an eye. But if I have a gift card - I stay within the gift card budget and I get b&bw stuff!. 

For small children - gift cards, because I don't trust their parents not to pocket it

For older children - money, let them spend it how they need it

For other adults - money

• momofsixangels
    January 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM

cash so I could spend it anywhere.

• bizkit_fanky
    January 29, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Same

Quoting momofsixangels:

cash so I could spend it anywhere.

• AllofFive19
    January 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I like both.

• erikays
    by erikays
    January 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    Cash so I can spend it everywhere, unless its a Visa gc, I'll take that instead (online shopping).
  • baconbits
    January 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

For my daughters I buy specific gift cards. One always gets some type of "food" card. Krogers, McDonalds, etc. This is one way I know that I can help her with food which I know she needs.

Another I've already paid for one wedding and she's flat out asked for cash for Christmas so they could put it toward (2nd) wedding. Since I had already told her she was on her own I bought her & future gift cards to Lowes as they are also working on their home.

The tird daughter it's usually gift card for a restaurant and her dh Lowes as they seldom get to eat out and they are working on their trailer.

• 907PickleMom
    January 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Gift card, that way I can't use it to pay bills and have to spend on myself or whoever. A rare treat around here.
  • allyn9
    by allyn9
    January 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I'm okay with either - depends on the person and their desires.

• Moms_Angels1960
    January 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Cash, that way I could go whereever I chose to spend it, not just the place they bought it from.

The Family Piggy Bank