The Family Piggy Bank

MomTeacher247
Planning a Grocery Budget
January 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

This may be a completely stupid question, but please bear with me.  I have been seperated for about 6 months now and have been living with relatives since.  So, I have not had to bear the sole grocery bill burden for my son and I.  So I am trying to work up a budget for us to see what I am going to be able to afford as far as renting a house.  My son is 3 and I am 30, and we have 2 large dogs who will be eating probably one 30lb bag of dog food a month (approx $30).

I am thinking $200 a month for groceries ... Is that being far too modest?  I can recall when my ex and I were together spending about $400 a month on groceries, but, then he had no sense of being frugal whatsoever, where I most certainly do.

Thoughts and opinions are definitely appreciated!!

Replies

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    January 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM

DH and I live with my mom because she was going to lose her house...well she was unemployed for quite a while and DH and I ended up buying all groceries for the household. So there is myself, DH, my mom, and my 3 year old that eat regular food, and I have a 9 month old who is on formula. I put him on his own budget and I spend $100 every 2 weeks for him which includes formula, diapers, wipes, and baby food. Now as for the regular food eaters, I spend around $150-$175 every 2 weeks for food, but again that's for 3 adults and a preschooler which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks (for DS1 for school). I think it really depends on how you are going to go about making sure you stick to your budget. I don't necessarily think $200 is being modest but you will definately need to use coupons, price match, shop the sales.

• MomTeacher247
    January 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I am was an avid couponer before my ex and I split, I was unemployed for over a year so I learned how to become very frugal and shop the good sales, etc.  I am totally aware that I will need to cut back on things like the cable bill, internet, phone, etc to make sure things are not too tight, and I am very much willing to do so to make it work out.  I think with practice I can definitely make $200 a month work.  :)

• ambermario4ever
    January 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We are a family of four with no pets and spend between $600-$800 a month and that includes toilet paper paper towels napkins shampoo and all house hold items and cleaning supplies.

• MichelleK41
    January 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

$200 a month sounds reasonable and since you're an avid shopper you may find you save some too. =)

• OliviasMommy611
    January 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    I couldn't do 200 a month. Dh is military and gone so its just dd and I. We have a small dog and his food last forever. We eat fresh, and as healthy as possible I spend 75 to a 100 every week. I shop sales and clip coupons. We do eat organic dairy.
  • mmeredith
    January 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

With you knowing the deals and using coupons & I'm sure some good cheap easy suppers. I think it's possible. I would do 250 as your budget though (add in toliet paper, shampoo & just a little wiggle room)

• BipolarMom09
    January 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We are a family of 4 (until May when our newest boy arrives! :) and we spend about $300-350/month in just food. My sons are 3 and 2 years old and love to snack and they are growing boys so they eat A LOT! Plus, I am 5 months pregnant and snack every few hours as well and my DH is just a large man 6'6 250lbs and eats like a horse!! Lol I budget the pets and household items seperately. For pets, we have 2 dogs and a cat. Between dog food (40lbs lasts us about a month) cat food, and cat litter...we budget around $35/month. For other household items (cleaning, toiletries, paper goods, etc.) we typically spend around $30-40/month MAYBE...just depends. About every 2 months we try to stock up at Sam's Club on bulk items we go through a lot, such as snacks for the boys, and we spend about $100 there every 2 months.

• suziejax
    January 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

sounds like you can do it on 200 a month since your frugal. I wish you well!

• gmadiane
    January 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think it might be tough to do $200 but I guess it depend on what you both eat and how many meals are eaten at home

• baconbits
    January 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

You have to remember that when you first get your new home that you'll spend far more then that the first couple of months. You'll need to stock up on some of the basics. Laundry detergent, oil, spices, cleaning supplies,  etc. These things last quite a while but all are necessary to start out in a new home. If you know when you'll be moving into a new place this is something you might start to shop for and box up ahead of time. One week buy detergent & dryer sheets, the next buy dish soap, paper towels and toliet paper. Just keep an eye on sales and try to stock up a bit at a time so it doesn't all hit you at once. You can also do the same with soups, canned fruit/veggies, etc. Whatever you can get a deal on.

The Family Piggy Bank