HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown -- My big idea for 2013
December 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The stockings are empty. The tags are all torn off. Kids are actually still playing with those new toys (shocker!). Perhaps, just maybe you have a few seconds to think about what's happened this past year and what may be ahead.

The main thing I have been thinking about - that has to do with our Family Piggy Banks as well as most of Life - is fear. Often we avoid hard questions, hard choices, hard decisions because of fear. Dang, it is everywhere. There's the fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of change.

We may not even know it, but if we could not be doing something - whether it's trying a new job or changing up our thoughts about money, or having a tough conversation - because we are afraid, well, then we may not be fully reaching that level of happiness we deserve.

And we know I'm not defining happiness as more money in the bank or a good solid savings account. I'm talking happiness with ourselves, our relationships, our every day being. Happiness can be contentment, time to be with our kids, learning a new skill.

We all deserve happiness. We all must stop being afraid. So, I'm looking ahead and making a promise to myself not to be afraid. To choose to do something about whatever it is I may be afraid of, to tackle that fear head on, to question why that fear may be there and do what I can to change it.

How will I do that? Well, I'm going to keep laughing. I know, not what you'd expect...and here's where I quote Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (I know, you didn't see that reference coming did you?). In the first two-parter when the pony friends were off to save all of Equestra and encounter some scary elements, Pinkie sings of what her Grandma Pie told her, "You've gotta stand up tall, learn to face your fears, you'll see that they can't hurt you, Just laugh and make them disappear."

So, let's stand tall, laugh a little and face those fears, shall we?

What is your big idea for 2013?

ŠiStockphoto.com/dosecreative 

Replies

• jbyrd898
    December 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I'm going to have to think on this one!

• michiganmom116
    December 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

My big idea?  I've got a few:  don't sweat the small stuff, take care of you and yours first, and don't take life so seriously (HAVE FUN!)

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    December 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Find a new job
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    December 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Try to save up to try and get a house (this is my big goal). Paying rent is ridiculous.
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    December 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Enjoy the small things
  • sukainah
    December 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Spend more quality time with my kids

• sukainah
    December 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

also not worry about small things and try to organize my home.

• MamaBear2cubs
    December 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I have a lot. The biggest is to find a new job.

• natesmom1228
    December 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I need to look for a new job. I am working on my resume.

• cara124
    by cara124
    December 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

my biggest plan for 2013 is get DD 17 through high school . Then help pick out a good college . So SHE is headed in the right direction for the future... the other stuff on my list is just small things like make sure i'm taken care of for retirement... and maybe look at purchasing a second car ( with great gas mileage ) .

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN