The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown -- Gifts your kids can make
December 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Well, folks, Christmas is next week, so this is our last holiday Thursday Thrifty Throwdown...sigh. We covered tons of ways to save money, budget and still have some ho ho ho without breaking the Family Piggy Bank.

For this last one, it is all about our kids, as I know many of us are keeping them in the forefront our minds these days (more so than usual). I've got some ideas on some gifts your kids can make you, your spouse, Mumma and Paappa that you can cherish for years to come (not as much as you cherish your little ones, but close).

Artwork - We all love to get those torn-out pages of rainbows and clouds, but bump it up a notch and make it ready to hang with the use of stretched canvas squares. You can grab them at almost any craft store (or on Amazon) and create some cool word art like ModPodgeRocks did here. Joy, Peace, Love...or just have a few picture scenes in a row or cutouts glued on. You know your MIL would love it.

Bookmarks - You can do this with any material...fabric, construction paper, whatever. Add fun elements like yarn or pompoms. Again, great for the grandparents or for you to use everyday.

Mosaics - Grab those catalogs, and have your kids go to town cutting out little squares of all different color and then gluing them onto paper in any pattern or design they want. Frame it and bam! Perfect present to be adored for years to come.

Personalized coffee mug - Find some cheap white mugs and a porcelain Pebeo pen (you can get it here on Amazon), and your kids can create a fabu gift to be used every morning. A Beautiful Mess, Classic Play and DesignMom all have the details on how to do it as well as interesting inspiration for what your kids can put there on the mugs. (I'm definitely doing this for our end-of-the-year gifts for teachers!)

What gifts do your kids give?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Shank_ali

Replies

• michiganmom116
    December 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM

beaded bracelets. 

Other than that, I can't think of anything else they would make and give.

• arpazia
    by arpazia
    December 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    Those are great ideas!
    Sadly I've nothing to add, ds would rather shove bamboo up his nails than do crafts:(
  • jessicasmom1
    December 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Thanks for the ideas

• .Angelica.
    December 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

my kids haven't made anything for gifts yet but these are great ideas!

• goddess99
    December 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I found this cute bookmark idea on Pinterest but dd didn't want to make them, maybe when she gets a little older. She normally doesn't give gifts just from her.

• natesmom1228
    December 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

My son doesn't really give gifts. He is giving his cousin a bear he won at camp this past summer.

• Madelaine
    December 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Good ideas!

• sukainah
    December 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Those are nice ideas.  My kids just like to draw pictures and make cards.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    December 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Quoting arpazia:

Those are great ideas!
    Sadly I've nothing to add, ds would rather shove bamboo up his nails than do crafts:(

Those are cute craft ideas, unfortunately, my sons have the same opinion of crafts as arpazia's son.

I might need to try some of them myself, though.

• BabyTeki
    December 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    We did salt dough ornaments and they're going to help design an apron for grandma

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts