The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday countdown! 1 week!
November 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM

We hit it...week one! Wow. Next week the holiday month arrives: December. We'll have some awesome budget-friendly news, ideas and yup, holiday fun that won't break that family piggy bank. I know many of you already buy presents throughout the year for family members, while some of you hit the Black Friday deals last week to pick up gift goodies.

But there are still some on that list, huh? I've got some gifts that cost under $25 and can be for anyone really (maybe not the newborn nephew, but a few of these can work for the over-12 crowd, for sure).

Great as a stocking stuffer for almost anyone, this Predict-A-Pen from The Container Store has six cool answers to anything you ask it, with just a click of the end. Only $5.99.

Everyone from the preschool teacher to your Aunt Courtney makes lists and needs to keep a notebook on hand, in a purse, or by the phone. Moleskine is the leader in notebooks and their Volant series is great. The pocket size is 3.5 inches by 5.5 inches, comes in a variety of colors, and you get two for $8.95!

Entertaining is hard work...make it easier and prettier with this Acacia wood serving piece at $16.95. From Crate and Barrel, it goes with any décor and can be used for bread, appetizers, even as the base of a centerpiece. A lovely hostess gift or a perfect present for your sister-in-law.

Books. I love giving books, but sometimes you don't know what a person is into...that is why I tend to give non-fiction books. For that office mate or your boss or even your Uncle Dave, pick one of these thought-provoking books and see a smile. Lately, I've been loving Gretchen Rubin's latest Happier At Home ($14), and you can never go wrong with Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers ($11) or Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires ($13).

Kids, adults, heck, even the cat would love some of these faux-fur lined booties from Restoration Hardware. Choose from coyote, mink, lynx, arctic fox, chinchilla or sable, and the awesome part: they are machine washable. Treat those toes for only $24.

Which of these do you like? Maybe you have a great go-to gift that works for (almost) anyone? Share it!

©iStockphoto.com/ Hemul75

Replies

• MDWife12
    November 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    I don't have any go to gifts :/
  • ReesesPieces
    November 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM

We only really buy for the kids, so I don't have any gifts that work for anyonoe.

• ReesesPieces
    November 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Those slippers do look super comfy though.  I'm loving my hot pink ones, but those look so cozy.  If we lived where it snowed a lot, I'd probably have to get some like that.  Gosh, those look so soft and warm.

• MamaBear2cubs
    November 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM

These are neat. I like the shoes

• jbyrd898
    November 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

great ideas! I just recently got some slippers from Dearfoam, from a Cafemom influencer. they have a fuzzy inside like that and I LOVE them. I have never been a real slipper wearer before, but now I definitely am!

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    November 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    Those slippers look super comfy
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    November 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    I really like the little colorful books. My sisters starting college in January and I want to get her some supplies.
  • jbyrd898
    November 30, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I really like the little colorful books. My sisters starting college in January and I want to get her some supplies.

those are really cute. what a good idea for your sister!

• michiganmom116
    November 30, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I love the booties!

• michiganmom116
    November 30, 2012 at 7:21 AM

As for a gift that works for almost anyone....I love buying (and receiving) fuzzy socks.  They're thick, warm, and are a great sub for slippers.  This year I'm getting them for all of the girls/women on my list.

For the guys, food is always appreciated.  Jerky, fudge, chips, and beer or soda always go over well.

The Family Piggy Bank