The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Thanksgiving Decor Your Kids Can Make
November 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

There's nothing quite like Thanksgiving. Festive, fun, but busy, no? You are getting out all of the dishes, shopping for food, cutting up veggies and preparing. Meanwhile, your kids are twiddling their thumbs in the corner, right? Okay, they are probably making a huge fort in the den where you just cleaned up...put them to work! I'm not talking about making your five-year-old slice onions, but why don't you let them make the décor? Check out these ideas.

Create a handprint turkey tablecloth - Grab that white tablecloth and some paints. Set it up perhaps in the basement or outside on the porch and let them make a border of handprint turkeys.  Get some paintbrushes there too, so they can make eyes, draw little pilgrim hats all along the edges. Perfect for the kids table or the table in the den with appetizers.

Make a thankful turkey - Make an outline of a turkey out of poster board or construction paper and have them cut out feathers and write on it what they are thankful for -- or interview you, Gramps, Aunt Mary and all of your houseguests to see what the crowd counts as blessings this year. Put it on the front door as guests arrive.

Give Thanks banner - Get a long piece of yarn or ribbon and some large cardboard squares and have them write one letter per piece of G-I-V-E T-H-A-N-K-S. Then thread the ribbon or yarn through it. Ideal for the mantle.

Placecard fun - I saw this idea over at Parenting.com and thought it was so cool. Have your kids cut out paper placecards for everyone that's coming to your house this year (or who will be at your sister-in-law's house). Then, have the kids write down why they are thankful for that person - be prepared for tears and laughs when they are read out loud.

Share pictures of the crafts your kids make this year!!

©iStockphoto.com/ HKPNC 

Replies

• mrswillie
    November 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

The place cards are a great idea. My kids have made the turkey before

• MamaBear2cubs
    November 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

We will be making some Christmas crafts soon!

• MichelleK41
    November 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I forgot to take pics for Thanksgiving, was enjoying it so much forgot to grab the digicam. We did hand turkeys and added extra feathers, fall leaves and corn.

• natesmom1228
    November 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

My son isn't into crafts so unless he makes things in school we don't make things.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    November 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Those are some cute ideas!

My boys did lots of Thanksgiving crafts at school.  DS#1 did a thankful Turkey.  DS#2 cut out pictures of things he's thankful for (funny how many sweets he had on it! lol).

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts