The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Do You Look Over Your Bank Statements?
October 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I get a lot of mail...for some reason, my husband thinks this is my fault, as much of the mail, probably a good 82.8% of it is catalogs or junk mail. Granted, I like looking through catalogs in all of the spare three minutes I have each week, but we get them because, well, we ended up on some list at some point after ordering something online, I'm sure. But shoved in among the booklets from Lands End, One Step Ahead and Restoration Hardware are our bank statements.

Sure, we get them online, but they still send us the hard copy. And whether you get both as we do, just receive it electronically or just in the mail, it brings up the issue of reviewing it. Do you? Do you open it right up and check it over and make sure everything looks "right"?

I admit it, my husband does handle most of the bill paying, but I look over the statement. Knowing how much is in there, what checks went in and out of it, what withdrawals were made...all of it is essential, not only to be sure there wasn't a mistake, but also to keep tabs on how that Family Piggy Bank is doing. Going over it is a subtle way to remind yourself of goals, to give yourself pat on the back if that emergency savings fund is growing or you see your debt going down or -- yeah -- give yourself a kick in the tush to get back on the savings track if you've veered off course.

Do you look over your bank statments? How often -- every week online? Every month with paper statements? 

©iStockphoto.com/DNY59 

Replies

• AzariahsMother
    October 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    Yep, when ever they send them out. Check my account daily online. Banks can make errors too.
  • conniejo75
    October 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Every day I check my account. Not just the statement.
  • jbyrd898
    October 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I look online almost every day. I look at the statement when it comes in.

• Amy127
    by Amy127
    October 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    I look online almost daily . I don't look at the paper statements at all.
  • MamaBear2cubs
    October 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Daily online

• michiganmom116
    October 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    I reconcile with my bank account every week, online.
  • slw123
    by slw123
    October 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I look at my statement online and I also look at the paper copy when it comes.

• KristinRox
    October 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I go online to my bank statement from my phone probably every 2 days. I know how much money is in my account and I know how much I spend, but I always make sure the records in my head match the records from the bank. 

• 4kidz916
    October 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I get my statements by email and I do look them over.  I also view my account several times throughout the week to make sure there's nothing weird going on.  

• JudesAwsomeMom
    October 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Yep, when ever they send them out. Check my account daily online. Banks can make errors too.

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts