The Family Piggy Bank

jbyrd898
saving money on groceries
October 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

what are some specific things you do to save money while shopping for groceries?

Replies

• FindersKeepers
    October 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Buy wine in bulk to get 10% off.   lol!

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Plan meals around what I already have on hand, adding only the items that I need to complete the meal plan.

• jbyrd898
    October 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Buy wine in bulk to get 10% off.   lol!

lol

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I know where the best prices are because I keep a price notebook.  I can see at a glance whether a sale is really a good deal or not.

• jbyrd898
    October 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I know where the best prices are because I keep a price notebook.  I can see at a glance whether a sale is really a good deal or not.

is it hard to keep up with the notebook?

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM

If I have a coupon for something, I really try to stack it with a store coupon and/or sale.

• jbyrd898

Quoting michiganmom116:

If I have a coupon for something, I really try to stack it with a store coupon and/or sale.

I wish I could be that organized.

• michiganmom116

Not at all!  Mine is organized as a computer spreadsheet.

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting michiganmom116:

is it hard to keep up with the notebook?

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I wish I could be that organized.

It's not so much organization as it is about being aware of what coupons I've got.  I'll see a store coupon or a sale and a flag will go up in my mind that "I've got a coupon for that!"

I RARELY use coupons for food items.

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I mentioned that we're dairy-free....meaning we don't drink milk (I'll still use some cheese).  We went from consuming 12 gallons of milk to maybe one a month for baking purposes...with the price of milk, that saves close to $40 a month.

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts