jbyrd898
Grocery Bills
October 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

How much do you normally spend on groceries every week? How many people are in your family?

Replies

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I've been averaging $65 to $80 a week for a family of 2 adults, 2 teen boys (they eat more than we do!) and a 12 yr old girl.

• jbyrd898
    October 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've been averaging $65 to $80 a week for a family of 2 adults, 2 teen boys (they eat more than we do!) and a 12 yr old girl.

wow. thats pretty good for five people!

• michiganmom116
    October 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting michiganmom116:

wow. thats pretty good for five people!

...and we eat grain and dairy free! 

• luvhubandbabys
    October 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    100 week. But we never eat out. 4 ppl plus one cooking
  • jaedynmoon
    October 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We are a family of 3 and cut our budget to $80 a week.  I've been doing pretty dang good while keeping it fresh and healthy :)

• Larisa72
    October 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

since I meal plan and use coupons and re-use leftovers as different meals, I've cut it down from $250/week (scary, huh) to about $40/week for a family of 4 (47, 39, 12, and 9)....I usually do a major shopping trip every 3 months or so and that runs around $400, but it includes everything for dinners, lunches, the animals, paper products....I still think I could do better, and hubby and i have been talking about making a lot more things from scratch and freezing them (like lasagna and such)

• jbyrd898
    October 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Larisa72:

since I meal plan and use coupons and re-use leftovers as different meals, I've cut it down from $250/week (scary, huh) to about $40/week for a family of 4 (47, 39, 12, and 9)....I usually do a major shopping trip every 3 months or so and that runs around $400, but it includes everything for dinners, lunches, the animals, paper products....I still think I could do better, and hubby and i have been talking about making a lot more things from scratch and freezing them (like lasagna and such)

wow! that is awesome. I need to work on saving more myself.

• jbyrd898
    October 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting jaedynmoon:

We are a family of 3 and cut our budget to $80 a week.  I've been doing pretty dang good while keeping it fresh and healthy :)

thats around what we spend for three of us and five pets a week

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    October 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

It really depends on what's on sale. Normally it's less than $100/week for 3 people, but I spent $200 on meat a little over a month ago so we won't need meat for a while.

• Larisa72
    October 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It wasn't easy, but gets easier as I do it more....I laughed because the first time I did the inventory/meal plan/circular listing/coupon matching, I started 3 days before I was going shopping...now I can pretty much check the freezer and go from there.

But, I also buy a few roasts when they are BOGO, and I buy more than I know we will eat (a 2lb can be 2 meals for us).....when I buy a 4+ lb roast, I can do pot roast, beef in gravy over noodles, and roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes as well as (sometimes) veggie-beef soup.  If I find a good deal on whole chickens, we have roast chicken, chicken noodle soup, chicken fried rice and so forth....it's a matter of getting creative with leftovers :-)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN