The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Rethink That Bathroom Décor
October 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM

One place that gets overlooked in the décor department is the bathroom. Why? I'm not sure, as we all go in there a lot, spend a fair amount of minutes (perhaps hours?) every day. Sure, re-decorating isn't the first thing that pops into mind when you think of the bathroom, but it's an easy place to get your decorating groove on for not much money.

-- Get some bold colors. We always think of lighter colors when we think of the bathroom, perhaps because they are usually small-ish spaces, but that is a mistake! Grab a bold shower curtain, like this navy one and match it up with some bold blue and white accessories or even another color like yellow or aqua.

-- Go 3D. Often the only texture in the bathroom is the waffle-weave shower curtain or terry cloth towels. Check out this shower curtain that comes in a variety of colors: it has a 3D effect with the attached cutout leaves. A statement for sure. Match it with sleek brushed metal accessories like these from Target.

-- Bring in cool artwork. I have a huge typography poster in my bathroom that says "Today is the day." I got it from Etsy on from thebigharumph. Or use the artwork on these bath sink items. Use the branch and bird motif throughout with beiges and aqua towels and curtains.

-- Create a spa. If you love the clean look of those chic spas, go all white with a splash of natural materials. These bamboo accessories will help complete that Zen vibe.

What is your bathroom decor like? Do you want to redo it? 

©iStockphoto.com/ValentijnTempels

Replies

• MamaBear2cubs
    October 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM

It is pretty hodge podge right now.

• michiganmom116
    October 9, 2012 at 6:48 AM

My bathroom is pretty small and I totally remodeled it 6 years ago.  What a job!  I have no desire to redo the decor in there.  It's light, bright, with blue & green. 

• Amy127
    by Amy127
    October 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Both our bathrooms had the ugliest floral print walls when we moved in. I painted the master bath tan and have a maroon and dark brown theme with the rugs and towels. Hung a huge mirror next to the bath tub and a small clock on another wall. The kids bathroom is painted bright yellow, I originally did it for U of M for dh but when kids came I just.took down the u of m decor and added rubber duckies.
  • Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I've been looking for something to hang on the wall in my bathroom.

• natesmom1228
    October 9, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My bathroom walls are yellow and the decor is floral. I haven't really thought about changing it yet.

• ReesesPieces
    October 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    My half bath is chocolate brown with lime green hand towels, and a 3 small canvas squares covered with some patterned fabric, and a long rectangle canvas covered with coordinating fabric (all in lime green, white, and chocolate). Total cost was a 1/2 gallon of paint, 1.5 yards of fabric (with plenty left over) and the canvases that I bought on sale for 50% off.
  • ReesesPieces
    October 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    Master bathroom is a similar shade of lime green - we color matched it to match our bedspread. We have brown towels, brown candles, and brown toothpaste holders. We have a glass shower stall, so no need for a curtain. We also have 2 framed prints that were $20 each at Michael's and they are nice and big.
  • ReesesPieces
    October 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    The upstairs bathroom is gray with bright yellow towels and bath may. We have a gray-ish frosted case with bright yellow flowers in it, and we have silver metal buckets with bright yellow ribbon hanging on the door - they hold the kids' hair bands, q-tips, flossers, and other random bathroom needs.
  • ReesesPieces
    October 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    I love all 3 bathrooms and have no plans to redo them. ;)
  • AzariahsMother
    October 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Right now it's different shades of blues with really no theme other then that.  Bathroom is really in need of a make over.  We will be moving shortly, so we will be some new things because we will have 2 bathrooms instead of 1. 

The Family Piggy Bank