The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Chip it and Save Money!
October 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

We rent our apartment, so we don't do a whole lot in terms of decorating. But that hasn't stopped me from making folders (online and off line) and boards on Pinterest and tearing out pages of magazines with rooms, colors, furniture, everything that inspires my design and decorating mojo.

I've often seen a picture - maybe of nothing related to home décor at all - and love the feeling of it, the colors and think "How could I make a room feel like that?" And now I can...it is so cool. There is this desktop thingamajig (I know there is a word for it) called Chip It. You go to the web site from Sherman Williams called Let's Chip it!, and you drag the button thing to your tool bar. Then, when you are on Pinterest and see a fabulous photo or you spot a cool photo on some other site, you click on the button, and -- bam! -- it pops up this cool window that gives you all of the paint you would need to recreate that color-combo in your home. It is really super cool (have I said that already?)!!

If you have a photo that inspires you - like this one of a group of moonfish when we visited the Monterrey Aquarium - just upload it on the Let's Chip It! site, and it will do the same thing. See! It gives me all of the colors, as well as gives coordinating hues, to make a whole room based on that one photo! I can take it with me to look at towels or pillows or paint or whathaveyou.

So often, when we redecorate, we loose sight of what we love, what makes us all gooey inside and just buy other stuff that we aren't sooo jazzed about. Having this neato tech aide and printing out the custom-made chips can save you money the next time you want to redo a room (or the whole house).

Share a photo that inspires you and makes you feel fabulous -- and maybe chip it!

©iStockphoto.com/ stuartbur         

Replies

• ReesesPieces
    October 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    That's a pretty neat idea. Chip it. Might have to look that up.
  • RoseWall
    October 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    Sweet!
  • suziejax
    October 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I love LOVE The store Restoration Hardware! These are just 2 of the many rooms of stuff and colors that inspire me!

• jbyrd898
    October 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I've never heard of that before!

• momto3isme
    October 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM

That's neat I will have to try this.

• MamaBear2cubs
    October 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

That's neat!

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    October 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    What a great idea!!
  • AzariahsMother
    October 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

These photo's are amazing and just make me want to sleep.  They look so relaxing. 

Quoting suziejax:

I love LOVE The store Restoration Hardware! These are just 2 of the many rooms of stuff and colors that inspire me!

• AzariahsMother
    October 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I really like these rooms

Bedroom Paint Colors on Relaxing Bedroom Colors Relaxing Dormitories

Bedroom Paint Colors on Master Bedroom Paint Colors

• natesmom1228
    October 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I have color snap on my phone. I love it.

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts