The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 9 Weeks!
October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Um, do you see the above? We are down to single digits, ladies...only nine weeks left til December. Yes, Halloween is before that as is Thanksgiving, but we all know, even before the last of the Halloween candy is munched, the stores will be showing ornaments, stuffed elves and garland made of felt Santa hats.

Yes, winter and holiday décor will be all around us...and make us all get into the spirit. Before you grab a bundle, try some of these cool ideas that you can make yourself - not only will they be original, but they will also help that family piggy bank.

-- Pinecones and ribbons. Send the kids outside to gather some pinecones. Grab that white spray paint, give them a spritz. Once they are dry, tie some red or gold or blue or whatever color you want ribbon around them. Hang them from doorknobs, banisters, the front door...so easy and so inexpensive.

-- Winter in a jar. I love this one from Elisa McLaughlin - all you need are a few Mason jars, some salt and little trees and glue and you can make a gorgeous mantle arrangement or centerpiece.

-- Wool ball garland. Seriously cute and so simple. You wet the wool roving, ball it up, let it dry and then tread them together. Again a perfect decoration for a banister or over the stockings on the mantle. The blog According to Kelly has pics and easy-to-follow instructions.

-- Paper trees. Bits of scrapbook paper, scissors and glue are all you need. Check out the hints and how-tos at Making Lemonade blog.

How do you decorate for the holidays? Do you make your own? Let's share pics! 

©iStockphoto.com/ jsnover 

Replies

• CameronsMommy23
    October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    We have a tree, a wreath on our front door, green pine needle garland hanging on our stair rails inside the house, and we display the cards we receive from family & friends on a wall in the living room. We don't make any decorations usually.
  • momto3isme
    October 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM

We make our own decorations each year usually one per child and then each one makes an ornament for grandma.

• michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    We have a tree with at least half of the ornaments being homemade. We also have lights in the windows, a wreath on the door, an advent calendar, garland and lights hung around the doorways, Christmas switchplates, wall banners, scented candles, a Nativity creche, and stockings hung on the wall.
  • michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    As mentioned, I've made ornaments with the kids: cinnamon ornaments give off a lovely smell, and beaded ornaments sparkle with the tree lights.
  • michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    I've also made the wall banners myself.
  • michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Oh, and I made the stockings and the advent Calendar out of felt applique kits.
  • michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    The Nativity creche was handmade by my aunt.
  • michiganmom116
    October 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    I love the painted pinecone idea! I've got plenty of cone "sources."
  • MamaBear2cubs
    October 4, 2012 at 7:04 AM

We decorate pretty simple. Nothing home made just yet.

• leahbeah143
    October 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I REALLY want to make an advent calendar!

The Family Piggy Bank