HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 9 Weeks!
October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Um, do you see the above? We are down to single digits, ladies...only nine weeks left til December. Yes, Halloween is before that as is Thanksgiving, but we all know, even before the last of the Halloween candy is munched, the stores will be showing ornaments, stuffed elves and garland made of felt Santa hats.

Yes, winter and holiday décor will be all around us...and make us all get into the spirit. Before you grab a bundle, try some of these cool ideas that you can make yourself - not only will they be original, but they will also help that family piggy bank.

-- Pinecones and ribbons. Send the kids outside to gather some pinecones. Grab that white spray paint, give them a spritz. Once they are dry, tie some red or gold or blue or whatever color you want ribbon around them. Hang them from doorknobs, banisters, the front door...so easy and so inexpensive.

-- Winter in a jar. I love this one from Elisa McLaughlin - all you need are a few Mason jars, some salt and little trees and glue and you can make a gorgeous mantle arrangement or centerpiece.

-- Wool ball garland. Seriously cute and so simple. You wet the wool roving, ball it up, let it dry and then tread them together. Again a perfect decoration for a banister or over the stockings on the mantle. The blog According to Kelly has pics and easy-to-follow instructions.

-- Paper trees. Bits of scrapbook paper, scissors and glue are all you need. Check out the hints and how-tos at Making Lemonade blog.

How do you decorate for the holidays? Do you make your own? Let's share pics! 

©iStockphoto.com/ jsnover 

Replies

• Stevensmomma
    October 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    I collect from clearance after the holidays are over and save them every year
  • suziejax
    October 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

this year I will put up a tree for sure

Last year struggled on if we should or not and still did

( we celebrate Hanukkah etc)

This year I am hand making all my own ornaments. I have learned to french knit so I am making a cute garland!!!

• yvonne37
    October 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I decorate here and there with little things.  wreath at door, stuff on the entryway table, bathroom accessories, etc.  some made by me others bought.

• yvonne37
    October 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Last years tree... gold, bronze and white.

• yvonne37
    October 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

This year's colors :))  cant wait to go pick the tree ;)

• natesmom1228
    October 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I love Christmas decorating. We have 2 trees (one up stairs and one downstairs), they both have different themes to them. The one up stairs has a more elegant theme with black, white and silver ornaments. The one down stairs has a toy / child theme. I have ornaments from my I was young on it, as well as old ones from my hubby and the new one we get my son every year.

I also have 4 wreaths, lights, and my navitity scene on the mantle. My kitchen table has decor on it also.

• sukainah
    October 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have lights for the window and we hang things from the ceiling-gold stars and swirly things.  Sometimes we make some stars to put in the window as well

• KristinRox
    October 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM

We have a bunch of totes in our basement full of Christmas Decorations. I think for us, lights are a staple when decorating for the holidays. 

• KristinRox
    October 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I always think the handmade ornaments are so beautiful. The french knitted garland sounds pretty too. 

Quoting suziejax:

this year I will put up a tree for sure

Last year struggled on if we should or not and still did

( we celebrate Hanukkah etc)

This year I am hand making all my own ornaments. I have learned to french knit so I am making a cute garland!!!

• KristinRox
    October 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Very pretty. I can almost bet that your tree is going to be gorgeous with these colors! 

Quoting yvonne37:

This year's colors :))  cant wait to go pick the tree ;)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN