The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Yummy Budget Bake Sale Ideas
October 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM

We had our first PTA meeting the other day at Kiddo's new school. Full of the usual rundown of events, community service ideas, updates from committee chairs, what's coming up - and how we can volunteer our time and skills to make these happenings groove right along. Who else is already getting called or cornered in the hallways to pitch in? Some things are right up my alley, while others are not. Take the Bake Sale. I would love to help out - but whipping up tasty treats always makes me think of hours in the kitchen and the money spent...but I know it doesn't have to be that way. I've rounded up some super easy and super easy on your wallet bake sale ideas.

-- Dipped pretzels. Grab a bag or two of pretzel rods and some chocolate chips and sprinkles. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, dip an end of the rod in there, and sprinkle with toppings and then place on wax paper to cool.

-- Chocolate-chip cookie bark from Family Fun...have the kids help you!

What you need: 20 creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about half of an 18-ounce package), 2 2/3 cups white chocolate chips or 2 2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use with semisweet chips only).

What you do: Line a 9-inch-square baking pan with waxed paper. Coat the paper with nonstick spray; set it aside. Pour the cookies into a large bowl and break them into small pieces by hand or with the back of a wooden spoon, a job kids will love. Melt the white chocolate chips -- or the semisweet chips -- in a large microwave-safe bowl according to the package directions (add the extract after the chips have melted). Remove from the microwave and quickly fold in the cookie pieces with a spatula. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread to about a 1/2-inch thickness. Refrigerate until solid, about 1 hour. Remove the bark from the pan and carefully peel off the waxed paper. Set the bark on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the bark into 12 bars for wrapping or 24 triangles for boxing as shown above. Store in an airtight container. 

-- Basic Fudge. You really can't go wrong and, again, it's super easy and fast. Got this one from AllRecipes.

What you need: 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or any kind you want), 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup butter. 

What you do: Place chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter or margarine in large microwaveable bowl. Zap in microwave on medium until chips are melted, about 3-5 minute, stirring during cooking. Pour into well-greased 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Refrigerate until set.

Again, tie all of these in little baggies with ribbon you have around the house. I've used coffee filters or cupcake wrappers as cute little ways to present them, too!

What is your go-to easy and cheap bake sale item? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/PinkTag  

Replies

• clowry02
    October 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

great ideas thanks

The Family Piggy Bank

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts