The Family Piggy Bank

Cafe Kelly
Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 3: Cut Costs Now
October 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Save a little more this year by cutting out things you don't need now! Make your coffee at home, bring your own lunch, skip name brands and add it all to a holiday slush fund.

How much do you spend on coffee and lunches each week? How much can you save if you stop buying a few of these "treats" for the next three months?

coffee

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

Replies

• suziejax
    October 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I do not buy coffees thankfully

• Amy127
    by Amy127
    October 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    I fill my travel mug before leaving the house. But I also don't pass up a Tim Hortons either. Good thing there isnt one in my town. I'd say I average about 2 cups of coffee a month that isn't from home.

The only things I can cut if I had to start cutting expenses would be Dish network, switch our phones to prepaid and cancel our internet.
  • michiganmom116
    October 10, 2012 at 6:39 AM

We've done all of those things for YEARS, so there won't be any savings there.

• momto3isme
    October 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM

We don't eat out or buy coffee anywhere.  We eat at home and make our coffee at home every day.

• Mommy4two
    October 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Now this won't help me for I'm actually very good, we don't eat fast food at all.. it's not good for you "and yes up til nearly 6 months ago I did eat it" I've seen first hand how the products will NOT break down so that crap is no longer in our budget or diet.. and I hate coffee, I can drink a french vanilla cap. but that's sooo rare "seriously like 1 a year" so it doesn't count lol...

• MamaBear2cubs
    October 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I am home and don't eat out often

• jbyrd898
    October 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I work part time, and I admit that on days i work I do eat out lunch. I always feel like it is my treat for working on those days :(, and I always forget to bring something with me. I need to work on this big time. I make most of my coffee at home, but every once and while buy some out.

• ReesesPieces
    October 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    I spend $0 a week on those things. I don't drink coffee and I'm a SAHM, so we have lunch at home. :). Can't cut back there, but we do budget for Christmas all year long.
  • AzariahsMother
    October 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I don't spend on lunches at all because I bring a lunch from home.  I might spend once a month for lunch if that.  As far as coffee I say I spend under $10 a week depending on if I go to Caribou or to Holiday and get their .99 cents coffee.  I do Caribou on 1 time a week on payday weeks, so I guess I really spend more like $13 a in 2 weeks on coffee, so I could cut back there.

• sweetsurprise13
    October 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

i pack lunched and drinks for hubby and my son is in vpk for half a day so he eats here with me. We used to spend way too much on eating out for lunch but now we don't.   

The Family Piggy Bank