HeatherNYC
More Appointments To Make!
September 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Okay, so yesterday we chatted about appointments for ourselves that not only keep us health, happy and skipping along, but in doing so, saves us money. Now it is time for other appointments to make that can also keep more moolah in the piggy bank.

Car - Time to get that car checked. Look over the tires, how worn are they? How about a good overall tune up before the winter months hit? Getting your auto in good winter condition can save you tons of money in the long run.

Home - When was the last time you had the heating system inspected? What about that fireplace cleaned? Is your insulation still in good condition? As the cooler days come along, you may be using things you haven't used in months. Make sure they are in good working order and not costing you money.

Roof - Unlike the front door, we can't readily check that roof, can we? It may cost a little bit of money to have someone look over your roof, but save you hundreds of dollars if left unchecked. This time of year is good to do it, before pounds of snow may create a huge impact - literally - on your roof.

Gutters - I just have been getting on my dad about this. He's too old (sorry, Dad!) to climb on ladders and clean those gutters, and paying a local handy guy to take care of that will prevent a huge bill if they get clogged later in the year.

Insurance policy - This is a perfect time of year to take a few moments and look over all of you insurance polices. Have you made any improvements or additions? Have you bought anything that is worth a lot of money that you may need to insure? Check it over and see what needs to be altered

What do you need to get checked before winter hits?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/RiseAboveDesign

Replies

• jbyrd898
    September 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I need to get our chimney looked at. We have a woodburning stove I want to use this year.

• michiganmom116
    September 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Let's see: we've taken care of the cars for the most part -- need to top off the washer fluid in a couple of them. The roof is practically new and has snow & ice shield under the shingles. Gutters have been washed clean a few times already this fall. I'm well aware of what's going on with our insurance.
  • Stevensmomma
    September 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    We need to clean our gutters
  • suziejax
    September 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Great article!

• yvonne37
    September 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

car   - check.

home - check

gutters - done in spring.. have to do them again now :/

Insurance Policy - check    :)

now i need to change the furnace's filter and do a walk around the house to close anything that is letting cold in... after that I think Im done :)

• dusky_rose
    September 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

We need to get our gutters fixed. Maybe in the spring when we get tax moneys.

• deedee3849
    September 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

We have been wanting to get the insulation looked at for a few years now.

• goddess99
    September 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

We did it already. I needed the furnace cleaned and greased. Dh took care of it when the nights were hitting 30 degrees. We are putting a car in storage as well so need to do that and call insurance guy.

• saraface5383
    September 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

just finished getting the cars checked out and the oil changed on them!

• countrygirlkat
    September 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

We need to get the transmission fluid changed and a few other things done on the truck and clean up outside before winter. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts