The Family Piggy Bank

HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 10 Weeks!
September 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I may be making a huge assumption here, but I don't think many of you own a sleigh...or eight reindeer to drive it. The big fella has his delivery method unmatched by anything online. Sadly, it involves a magic that we non-elf employers, non-North Pole inhabitants have access to...which means we have to figure out how to get those gifts to us.

Enter in shipping costs. Heading to the post office and sending them to family members the old-fashioned way costs money. As does gas money going to the mall a few times to stock up for presents to put under your tree there at home. So...I'm on a mission this year to spend no money on shipping costs. Zip, zilch, nada.

It can be done, I know it! I'm doing most of my shopping online and sending them directly to folks (or to our home if they are for the kiddo). I've checked out subscription sites like Shop Runner and Amazon Prime - both of which charge a fee, but it is minimal if you do a lot of Internet shopping. And I am refusing to shop anywhere that doesn't offer free shipping. So many do these days, everyone from Zappos to Gap to Amazon's regular Super Saver Shipping, and even more offer specials of free shipping (so sign up for those email blasts as that is where you find out). Also, sites like FreeShipping.org gives great codes you can use to make your own free shipping day.

This is one area during holiday season we can all save some money. Even if you only do a bit of shopping online, make it a point to get free shipping. And when you head to the mall, have a list, so you don't make repeat trips!

Do you have favorite sites that ship for free? Where do you find codes? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/pagadesign 

Replies

• CameronsMommy23
    September 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    I usually don't shop online. I'm too inpatient to wait for everything to be delivered. Haha
  • joko258
    by joko258
    September 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

I usually don't shop online. I'm too inpatient to wait for everything to be delivered. Haha

Me too..

• MamaBear2cubs
    September 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I always find free shipping on Ebay

• michiganmom116
    September 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Ebay has sellers that offer free shipping, and Amazon is a great one for free shipping on orders over $25 (I'm pretty sure that's the requirement) if the item(s) is/are sold through Amazon marketplace.  I've also found a pet care merchant that has free shipping.

If I remember right, MANY retailers offer free shipping on Cyber Monday.

• momto3isme
    September 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I like Amazon for shipping.

• Lo1427
    by Lo1427
    September 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Amazon!
  • suziejax
    September 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I love free shipping!

• mamivon2
    September 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I dont shop online..

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    September 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Amazon, with a $25 min. LLbean ships everything for free.

• deedee3849
    September 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Sometimes I find myself spending more to "earn" the free shipping, lol......

I do love places that offer free shipping, especially if you know you will qualify for it with your purchase. I usually google coupon codes for the stores name and try what I find until something works.

The Family Piggy Bank