HeatherNYC
Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 11 Weeks!
September 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Only two more weeks and then we are into single-digits, people, SINGLE DIGITS! Eek. Somehow as Fall has tiptoed in, I am feeling much more crafty than in summer days...have not a clue why, and I'm sure there is no scientific explanation, but yup, I'm getting stoked by cool ideas on Pinterest and blogs by moms so much more craftier than I, ones that would be great DIY gifts to make and give to those on that list.

But some of these, like that scarf for your niece or the blanket you promised to give your brother, you kinda sorta need to start now as they may take a bit of time.

Mug Set - Grab a few white mugs and make a one-of-a-kind set of tea or coffee mugs by following the easy instructions from LHJ.com. Perfect for a teacher or neighbor.

Interchangeable wreath - I saw this over on the blog Joys of Life with Lucy. She made a basic white wreath and attached little snaps and then created add-ons you can switch up depending on the season. So nifty!

Jeweled Wreath - Okay, so have wreaths on my mind for some reason, but this is really a chic wreath and so easy to make according to BHG.com. Take a wreath form and plastic pearls of all shapes and sizes from the craft store and glue them on...you can also use it as a centerpiece with a candle or bowl of ornaments.

Artwork Collection - I love this idea for that person who is so hard to buy for: a collection of small framed original pieces of art inspired by them. Take that tween girl in your life that loves horses and music. Get some silhouettes, cur out the form and then paint them her favorite colors. Frame them and it is the coolest gift ever. Get more details on how to do it over at Design Sponge.

Zippered bracelet - Add some hard bling to the wardrobe of your sister or your BFF. Grab two zippers and just follow the step-by-steps at ecouterre.com. Really, not much sewing skills are needed to create an uber-fahionable gift.

What DIY gifts do you make?  

©iStockphoto.com/Warchi    

Replies

• michiganmom116
    September 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I've made sausage, cheese, & cracker baskets, baked goods baskets, soup & homemade bread food baskets, quilts, afghans, fleece blankets, stitched designs on shirts, personalized ornaments, wooden fishing pole rack, wooden curio box, play mats for toy cars, Barbie furniture, Barbie clothes, matching robes & pajamas, bath salts, and more.

• Rushn311
    September 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I made a scrapbook page and printed it, and framed it. That's as crafty as I get.

• goddess99
    September 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The only DIY things I make is baked goods.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    September 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    I don't make gifts. I am so not crafty.
  • natesmom1228
    September 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I don't. I am not crafty.

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    September 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Photo books, ornaments, pillows
  • ZoeCY
    by ZoeCY
    September 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

After all of the posts I have seen you reply to I have decided I am just going to hire you to make all of my gifts ;o) It kind of defeats the purpose of saving money but oh well! haha

I always think that I am going to make all of these wonderful gifts but then always seem to run out of time.  Maybe it will be better this year- so far I am setting more realistic goals and my daughter started school this week so I will have a little more time (although she only goes 4 days a week for 3 hours and we are moving soon so I am sure I will actually end up having less time).  

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've made sausage, cheese, & cracker baskets, baked goods baskets, soup & homemade bread food baskets, quilts, afghans, fleece blankets, stitched designs on shirts, personalized ornaments, wooden fishing pole rack, wooden curio box, play mats for toy cars, Barbie furniture, Barbie clothes, matching robes & pajamas, bath salts, and more.

• michiganmom116
    September 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

LOL  And to think of all those times I wish I COULD sell my crafts! 

As for time, I did a lot more of these things when my kids were little vs. now when they're 12 - 15 yrs old.  I would often start the bigger projects in June or July, then work like a crazy woman with all the baking the week before Christmas.

Quoting ZoeCY:

After all of the posts I have seen you reply to I have decided I am just going to hire you to make all of my gifts ;o) It kind of defeats the purpose of saving money but oh well! haha

I always think that I am going to make all of these wonderful gifts but then always seem to run out of time.  Maybe it will be better this year- so far I am setting more realistic goals and my daughter started school this week so I will have a little more time (although she only goes 4 days a week for 3 hours and we are moving soon so I am sure I will actually end up having less time).  

Quoting michiganmom116:

• meglennox
    September 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

baked yummies :)

• lalasmama2007
    September 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    I make cross stitch ornaments, pendants, baby bibs, etc. I also make no-sew blankets.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts