HeatherNYC
Best Budget Baby Gifts
September 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Yes, those little toes, those little schmunchie-unchie tummies, that smell (oh you know what I'm talking about). Yes, babies. They are everywhere, it seems and that means they get gifts (I mean, you grow for nine months and burst into the world, you deserve some goodies). But when you have friend after cousin after co-worker having babies, those gifts can add up. Everyone loves giving stuffed elephants and pandas, but these gifts don't break the bank and are super useful - money well spent if you ask me. 

-- Start a library. Go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble or your local bookseller and pick out some great board books. Not just the usual "Goodnight Moon", check out some ABC ones, some Sandra Boynton ones...my kid's fave: Hug.

-- LLBean monogrammed tote. Mom and Dad are going to be toting a lot of stuff, why not get the little one a bag of her own. Perfect for airplane and day trips to lug toys, bottles and more.

-- Monogrammed buckets and bins. I love these canvas carriers and floor totes from Pottery Barn as they hold so much stuff and fit anywhere. We have three in Kiddo's room and they have grown with her, going from baby toys to blocks to now purses.

-- Artwork for her walls. Order some great prints from places like Etsy for less than $20 and add a frame from your local craft store or WalMart and you have something special. Love this "You are my sunshine" lyrics or the trio of adorable elephant and bunny prints.

What is your favorite baby gift to give?

ŠiStockphoto.com/RuthBlack          

Replies

• ReesesPieces
    September 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    Teething bling! It's a stylish necklace that is a teether. My babies have loved them and it's not something they can drop on the ground. They are between $15 and $20 - sometimes less with a sale, but they are wonderful!
  • jbyrd898
    September 18, 2012 at 6:19 AM

great ideas

• Amy127
    by Amy127
    September 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    I usually go with a first years picture frame, where you put a new picture in each month. Or a blanket, you can never have enough cute baby blankets.
  • natesmom1228
    September 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I love diaper cakes. They are so cute, make a great centerpiece and very useful.

• natesmom1228
    September 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Amy127:

I usually go with a first years picture frame, where you put a new picture in each month. Or a blanket, you can never have enough cute baby blankets.

I also give photo frames.

• Leelee1008
    September 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM

oddly enough I give baby food and ceral, well I used to anyway. If I know the moms and they arent organic or opposed to cereals and jar food. I also give the little things people forget,like nail clippers, and outlet covers So my bags end up jam packed with stuff that moms can use but others forget to buy.

• Leelee1008
    September 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I love them as well. I was so excited with my friend made one for my shower with my DD.

Quoting natesmom1228:

I love diaper cakes. They are so cute, make a great centerpiece and very useful.

• natesmom1228
    September 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Quoting Leelee1008:

I love them as well. I was so excited with my friend made one for my shower with my DD.

Quoting natesmom1228:

That is great. You can do them on a budget. I get the dollar stuff. I figure I usually spend about $20 anyways, so why not make it something that is really cute and useful.

• sukainah
    September 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

These are great tips!

I always gave some books and onsies.

• goddess99
    September 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM

My favorite is those huge boxes of baby wipes. I love giving those. Not too excited but will definitely be used.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts